ppp-go output to screen

Post by D. Bernar » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I used to have the commands given by ppp-go being echoed  back to the
screen. I, however,
screwed up my system and had to reinstall much of the system. Now PPP
works, but
the results are not sent to the screen, thus I am not sure when the
connection is completed.
My system is S.u.S.E 5.0 if that makes any difference. I use the basic
ppp-go and ppp-off
to dial my ISP.

D. Bernard

ppp-go output to screen

Post by Ray Berge » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The line you're looking for is the "tail -f" line below.
Add it just below the line that starts your ppp connection (probably in
ppp-on)
The file you want in the tail -f line may be slightly different than
/var/log/messages
 in SUSE (I use RedHat) - It should be whichever file monitors your system's
messages.
 Hope this helps.

Ray Berger

-----cut----
# Next line runs pppd in the background
ppp-on &
# Next line monitors the connection in the foreground
tail -f /var/log/messages
# To end a PPP connection, first hit Ctrl C, to end connection
#   monitoring, then type ppp-off  or whatever you use to end the
connection.
----cut----

>I used to have the commands given by ppp-go being echoed  back to the
>screen. I, however,
>screwed up my system and had to reinstall much of the system. Now PPP
>works, but
>the results are not sent to the screen, thus I am not sure when the
>connection is completed.
>My system is S.u.S.E 5.0 if that makes any difference. I use the basic
>ppp-go and ppp-off
>to dial my ISP.

>D. Bernard

ppp-go output to screen

Post by D. Bernar » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I used to have the commands given by ppp-go being echoed  back to the
> screen. I, however,
> screwed up my system and had to reinstall much of the system. Now PPP
> works, but
> the results are not sent to the screen, thus I am not sure when the
> connection is completed.
> My system is S.u.S.E 5.0 if that makes any difference. I use the basic
> ppp-go and ppp-off
> to dial my ISP.

> D. Bernard

  Thanks to the people who attempted to solve my problem. I solved it by
running PPPsetup,
written by Kent Robotti. I am not sure what it fixed, but it works now.

D. Bernard