Configuring Pine for ISP use

Post by Robert D'Attil » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi there:
I would like to configure pine running under Linux to be able to retrieve and
send mail via my ISP.  1)  how do I map my username on my linux machine to my
email name on the ISP so that it shows up correctly in the From: field?
2) How do I configure pine to read the mailbox on my ISP.  I've tried using
IMAP but I don't think my ISP provides this, can I use POP and if so how?

Thanks

Robert

Configuring Pine for ISP use

Post by Tim » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> 1)  how do I map my username on my linux machine to my
> email name on the ISP so that it shows up correctly in the From: field?

I cheat. I just create a user on the linux box that matches the account at the
ISP and do my mailing as that user.

Quote:> 2) How do I configure pine to read the mailbox on my ISP.  I've tried using
> IMAP but I don't think my ISP provides this, can I use POP and if so how?

Pine (at least the last version I've seen) does not pop. You need to use
something like popmail or fetchmail to grab the mail from your ISP's pop server
and then use pine to access it locally.

--
Tim Sweeney                            Harborhi Consultants

Post by afn02.. » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > 1)  how do I map my username on my linux machine to my
> > email name on the ISP so that it shows up correctly in the From: field?

> I cheat. I just create a user on the linux box that matches the account at the
> ISP and do my mailing as that user.

> > 2) How do I configure pine to read the mailbox on my ISP.  I've tried using
> > IMAP but I don't think my ISP provides this, can I use POP and if so how?

> Pine (at least the last version I've seen) does not pop. You need to use
> something like popmail or fetchmail to grab the mail from your ISP's pop server
> and then use pine to access it locally.

> --
> Tim Sweeney                            Harborhi Consultants

In Pine's configuration, I put the name of the smtp server to my pop
server on my ISP (e.g. pop3.afn.org)

Pine then prompts me fo rthe username (with the user I happen to be
logged onto my Linux PC as the default).

I then backspace and fill in the account name I have on my ISP and pine
will promt me for the password. it's as easy as that.

New problem for the guru's:
my NNTP server is on another ISP...how do I get pine to log into both
the SMTP and NNTP server at the same time? The account name on each one
is different.

Post by Dan » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi there
> I would like to configure pine running under Linux to be able to retrieve and
> send mail via my ISP.  1)  how do I map my username on my linux machine to my
> email name on the ISP so that it shows up correctly in the From: field?
> 2) How do I configure pine to read the mailbox on my ISP.  I've tried using
> IMAP but I don't think my ISP provides this, can I use POP and if so how?

> Thanks

> Robert

If I were you, I would use fetchmail, fetchpop, or popclient to retreive
your mail, and read it from your local mailspool.  You can use pine to
fetch your mail by editing the inbox-path= variable to read
inbox-path={your.pop.server/pop3}INBOX.  You're most likely going to
have to recompile pine to customize your from field.  You have to make
one change to the source to allow this.  Edit pine/osdep/os-lnx.h, and
uncomment the #define for ALLOW_CHANGING_FROM.  Once you have it
compiled and installed, you can put your customized From: header in the
customized-hdrs field.  Be sure to include the From:

1. Using Pine, Fetchmail, and Postfix with a POP3 and SMTP account at an ISP

My challenge was to set up my new Linux box (running Mandrake 8.0) so that
I could use Pine as my everyday mail reader, while still being able to get
my mail from my internet provider and send it using their SMTP server.
This setup works for me and a cable modem/Linksys router/home network
(ssshhhhh, don't tell my ISP).  There may be different settings necessary
for dialup service.

My first step was to set up Postfix.  The only tricky part, and I don't
know that this was necessary (I suspect it became superfluous when I
switched to Pine from Mutt), was to go into the file /etc/postfix/mail.cf
and add the line:

relayhost=smtp.yourisp.com

And write and save the file.

The next step was configuring fetchmail.  Once it's installed, I had to
create a file named ".fetchmailrc" in my home directory.  One thing I
screwed up and that you should watch for is to make sure this file is in
the home directory for the account you want to generally use when reading
email.  I initially put it in my home directory as root, which disabled my
ability to read my mail when logged in under my day-to-day user name.

So the .fetchmailrc file needed to look like this:

poll <pop3server.address.atisp> proto pop3 user <username> pass <password>
is user <account name on Linux box> here

I then had to change the permissions on that file by typing:

chmod 600 ~/.fetchmailrc

Once that was done, it was time to install and set up Pine, which was
quick and easy.

In Pine, go to Setup, then Config, and enter the appropriate addresses.

Under personal name, use the name you want attached to your email.

smtp-server is the SMTP server address for your ISP
nntp-server is the NNTP or news server for your ISP (if using Pine for
USENET)
inbox-path SHOULD BE THE PATH YOU SET UP IN FETCHMAIL, by default it is
/var/spool/mail/username (you could change this; just make sure Pine and
Fetchmail both think your incoming mail goes to the same place)

The way the settings are now, your email will get to your mailbox from
your ISP's POP3 server and you will be able to send email through their
SMTP server.  HOWEVER, your email will appear to come from your local

Config menu again, hit W for "WhereIs" and enter "customized-hdrs".

This brings you to a list where you ADD a new header:

Save your changes, and you're ready to roll.

Again...this setup works for me, and I'm by no means even competent at the
Linux OS yet.  If it doesn't work for you, it's doubtful I can provide any
insight.

Two articles that were helpful:
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cmail.html
http://www.math.utoledo.edu/PopMail/From.html

In addition, several people here in comp.os.linux.help were perfectly
patient and helpful.

Hope this helps.

--

Rev. Tim McIntire
http://www.reverendtim.com

2. M68k IRQ API updates [17/20]

3. Using pine or elm to read e-mail from POP3 ISP??

4. Unix commands-continued

5. Pine 3.95 and pine.conf/pine.conf.fixed

6. Stronghold + Kerberos?

7. need help configuring PPP using CHAP_SECRET for CWIX ISP

8. Redhat Routers: impossible...

9. Pine with ISP?

10. How do I configure Pine for serial PPP connection

11. How I must configure my linux pine ...

12. redhat linux6.0:how to configure pine for mail and newsgroups??

13. How do you configure PINE to connect to a POP3 server ?