Cable modem net connection

Post by Jeff » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I can't seem to connect to the net with my cable modem. Here's the specs.

-I've got Red Hat 5.0
-An NE2000 card that linux accepts and says is working properly
-And Netscape

I am using Xwindows to configure it.  My confusion lies in the network
configurator in the control panel.

1.  What do I enter in the domain name, and name servers?  (I know all my
ISPs specs)

2.  Is my Subnet mask in win 98 the same as Netmask?

3.  For IP Adress in the 'routing' tab, do I put my IP adress, or my ISPs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Cable modem net connection

Post by jed » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I can't seem to connect to the net with my cable modem. Here's the specs.

>-I've got Red Hat 5.0
>-An NE2000 card that linux accepts and says is working properly
>-And Netscape

        Just use the control panel (netcfg) and set the protocol
        type for the interface to dhcp.

Quote:

--
Hardly. Microsoft has brought the microcomputer OS to
the point where it is more bloated than even OSes from          |||

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Cable modem net connection

Post by Vladimir Vuks » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I can't seem to connect to the net with my cable modem. Here's the specs.

>-I've got Red Hat 5.0
>-An NE2000 card that linux accepts and says is working properly
>-And Netscape

>I am using Xwindows to configure it.  My confusion lies in the network
>configurator in the control panel.

Read the Cable mini-HOWTO at

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Cable-Modem.html

Vladimir

1. NTL cable modem net connection trouble

Hi,

I am trying to connect my Terayon Terajet cable modem via the NTL
company (via USB), under RedHat 7.3, but it doesn't quite work:

1)if I do 'ls' from ftp, I get an 'entering passive mode...' message
and no reply, forever.  Also querying of mail/news servers takes
forever.

2)if I browse any website other than some 'popular' ones
(news.bbc.co.uk,www.ft.com,...) in mozilla, then nothing appears.

Putting this information together, I guess this might be a proxy
problem, but I don't know how to fix it.  Please advise.  Should I try
to manually configure the proxy settings for mozilla? And would that
fix the ftp/email problem?

When I check my 'net options, I get the warning 'eth0 has an alias to
rtl8129 in modules.conf, instead of currently loaded ...', but I can
still connect to the net so I guess this isn't quite the source of the
problem.

Thanks!  Sorry if I am vague - I am very new to linux.

Also, it seems from the system monitor tool that mozilla is using
something like 100MB - is this normal?  Doesn't seem terribly
efficient...and causes my hard disc to go like there's some horrible
virtual memory paging happening

2. redhat compile error

3. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

4. Kamera?

5. How can I route to a cable modem connection AND a DSL connection?

6. openwin app on X-Server

7. Cable modem/modem connection

8. Linux kernel GPL issue

9. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

10. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

11. Cable Modem + local net = 1 interface or 2 ?

12. Cable modem + Linux + Win95 home net - finally works

13. Really newbie,net, cable modem