Weird problem with Red Hat & Storm setup - text displays black on black background

Weird problem with Red Hat & Storm setup - text displays black on black background

Post by Christopher Ada » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Help!

I've decided to try another set of distributions in order to get a
working Linux system.   Whenever I try to install Linux in graphics
mode, I get black text on a black background.  All other icons, etc,
seem to display properly.....

What's wrong, and is there anything I can do about it?   My video is
on the motherboard, and it is a SIS 5798 (I can double check this
later), and I have no problems with display in either the Caldera
distribution or in Windows (aargh!) environments.

I can't afford to keep playing with new distributions - I want
something that will work!   I know Linux is a great o/s - I've seen it
in action on other computers.   All I want is to get it working on my
system.   Can anyone help?

Thanks....

Chris

Weird problem with Red Hat & Storm setup - text displays black on black background

Post by Jim Harbac » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Christopher

Do a text install.  When done run the following command from the
command prompt as root to set up your xwindows environment:

xf86config

The graphical installs appear to have problems with some graphics cards.

Good Luck,

Jim