Config on dual intel ethernet express cards

Post by Marc Neshei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>I have an old 486 running redhat 6.2.  The box contains two Intel
>>etherexpress Lan Adapater 8/16TP.  I use the module called eexpress.o to
>>config the cards with.  They work fine if only one card is in the system
>>at a time.  However when I put both of them in and try to use both of
>>them eth1 never comes up.  The message displayed to the console is
>>"Delaying eth1 initialization."  The setup in my /etc/conf.modules is as
>>follows:

>>alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
>>alias eth0 eexpress
>>options eexpress io=0X300 irq=5
>>alias eth1 eexpress
>>options eexpress io=0X240 irq=10

>>I manualy set each card accordingly to those settings.  If anyone can
>>help me out here that would be greatly appericated.

>>marc

>**BTW, you seem to have crossposted to a heck of a lot of newsgroups. I
>filtered the ones that aren't really pertinent in this reply. To
>compensate, I am forwarding the reply to you via e-mail.**

>Your problem is caused by having two options lines. The second one will
>override the first one, and the second card will not be seen. This will
>invariably cause a "Delaying eth1 initialization" message at bootup.

>To fix it, rewrite your /etc/conf.modules to look like this:

>alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
>alias eth0 eexpress
>alias eth1 eexpress
>options eexpress io=0x300,0x240 irq=5,10

>and it should fix your problem.

>HTH
>-RK
>rkroll(at)ottawa(dot)com

I changed my /etc/conf.modules to look like above.  What happens this
time is that I get the following error message:

SIOCSIFADDR: No buffer space available
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign request address
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign request address
SIOCADDRT: No such device

Anybody have any ideas??

Marc