should I upgrade my slakware 3.1 system?

should I upgrade my slakware 3.1 system?

Post by Michele Marie Dale » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00

        I have a Slakware 3.1 system (well partially hacked, patched
stitched and glued together slakware 3.1 system. with a new 2.0.34 kernel).
I have never had any problems with it (yet) but I hear that Kernel 2.0.34
drops inet connections. should I downgrade to an older kernel? I know
2.0.29 worked well, I  went from a 2.0.0 to a 2.0.29 now to a 2.0.34
kernel, in the last few years. My system still uses the original Binutils
that came with Slakware 3.1 (including encaps) but has a Bash 2.01 shell.
an ancient sendmail (gasp), a new minicom/pine/lynx browser/X windows
(hardly use it, only got 8mb of ram). Point is, my system has been modified
by me GREATLY. How can I keep some of my changes without blowing them all
away. never mind my networkng configs
        I cannot use xwindows as I cannot see very well, so redhat is not
really the best option. I hear slakware 3.5 uses lprng (tried 3.2) and that
lprng program did not work for me at all, never mind that my system has
custom printer files (written by me) to switch my Star Nx-1020 raminbow
into various text modes, these are called lp10cpi,lp12cpi, lp17cpi and
lp20cpi, Yes *ia, they are all aliases for the same printer and each
has its own spool files. I hear debian is more difficult than slakware in
some areas. I remember somewere on ftp.cdrom.com reading that one can
upgrade an older slakware system by using the newer slakwares pkgtool and
yanking the old stuff off your hd, from the new config floppy. Yet my
system is such a mutt that I don't know how I could do that and not break
it all. Sounds one would need the A disk sets. possibly the D set if you
want to do development. anyone really know what one  should do?? has anyone
else been 'here' :?
--
                                B'ichela
When a Klingon  goes to Linux.  It means one must respect the Klingons

should I upgrade my slakware 3.1 system?

Post by Eric Pott » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Michele Marie Dalene enlightened this group thus:

Quote:>    I have a Slakware 3.1 system (well partially hacked, patched
> stitched and glued together slakware 3.1 system. with a new 2.0.34 kernel).
> I have never had any problems with it (yet) but I hear that Kernel 2.0.34
> drops inet connections. should I downgrade to an older kernel? I know
> 2.0.29 worked well, I  went from a 2.0.0 to a 2.0.29 now to a 2.0.34
> kernel, in the last few years. My system still uses the original Binutils
> that came with Slakware 3.1 (including encaps) but has a Bash 2.01 shell.
> an ancient sendmail (gasp), a new minicom/pine/lynx browser/X windows
> (hardly use it, only got 8mb of ram). Point is, my system has been modified
> by me GREATLY. How can I keep some of my changes without blowing them all
> away. never mind my networkng configs

I started out with slackware 3.0, have gradually upgraded many things, and
am now running kernel 2.1.108.  If you have spent a lot of time configuring
things and compiling new programs, as I have, this is probably the best
approach.  I switched over to the developement kernel starting with 2.1.102,
and have never had a glitch.  They definitely seem more stable to me than the
2.0.xx series.  I recommend that you download the latest developement kernel
source (2.1.111 as of now) and read the Documentation/changes file.  This
will tell you what you need to upgrade first before you compile the new kernel.
--

 *^  / \  \   |  \       When replying to me,  remove the NOSPAM
 / \/   \  \__|   \      from my address.

1. Upgrade: Slakware 3.1 -> RedHat 4.1 (?)

I've been putting off upgrading my original Slakware installation
(kernel 1.3.20) for long enough, I need to take advantage of new
features available with the 2.0 kernel.  Will it work to install RedHat
4.1 on top of my existing system so that I don't have to reinstall all
of the other packages I have gotten over time?  If there are other
suggestions, please share them.

Please respond to me direct, as I don't normally read this group.

Thanks,
Jeremy

2. C Escapes?

3. Cant find errno.h while upgrading 3.1-stable (to 3.1-stable)

4. dual processor support

5. Slakware 3.1 -> 3.4 - .rhosts doesn't work for root any more

6. mouse and compile problems

7. A Question for Slakware 3.1 users

8. Sun or INM unix ???

9. CD Player for Slakware 3.1?

10. slakware 3.1 installation problems from disks

11. Slakware 3.1 amd PPP

12. When to upgrade (2.2.8 to 3.1) unusual requirements

13. Upgrade blues (Slackware 3.0 to 3.1)