*** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***

Post by Mark » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Greetings everybody!

Installed linux a couple of weeks ago. I really like the way it works.

I am having a progblem though Windows '95 won't boot up.

The reason being is that I formated the linux drive as a linux file system
and therefore both dos and win'95 won't recognise it anymore.

This puts Windows '95 on a different drive than it should be and when I
try to boot-up it says "Can't find Win.com" among other  stuff.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

*** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***

Post by A.Taylo » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Try This:

Reinstall win95 to the default drive ( C:\ ) as windows or DOS will only
boot from that drive.
Then reinstall Linux to the other drive and seet it up as to boot from the
A: drive with a boot disk. It doesnt see to prolong the Linux boot time
significantly...Such Setup works just fine on my computer.
Another option is to by System Commander software (about $50) which should
be able to make any partitions on any of your drives bootable.

Adrian

*** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***

Post by Roy Stogn » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I am having a progblem though Windows '95 won't boot up.

>The reason being is that I formated the linux drive as a linux file system
>and therefore both dos and win'95 won't recognise it anymore.

Damn straight.  This is the safest thing you can do, both security wise
and for prevention of future problems - Win95 was not designed to deal
with other OSes, so if it ignores Linux don't complain.

I got a neat error when reinstalling '95 on a friends computer, which also
had Linux.

"You computer already has an operating system.  This version of Windows
95 is designed for computers with no Operating System installed.  Do
you want to reformat and install now?" (paraphrasing)
Visualize two buttons, with "Yes" highlighted.  Wonder what happened to
the "Are you really really really sure you want to delete this?" MS UI
philosophy?

Quote:>This puts Windows '95 on a different drive than it should be and when I
>try to boot-up it says "Can't find Win.com" among other  stuff.

Are you able to boot to a DOS prompt?

How are your drives formatted?  It sounds like you have two hard drives,
with hda linux-only and hdb Win95-only?  How are they partitioned?

Do you have any other FAT partitions before the main Win95 partition?
Win95 needs to see itself as C: to boot.
---
Roy Stogner

1. Lilo won't load os/2, os/2 won't load lilo

I'm having some problems getting OS/2 Warp, Dos/Windoze, and Linux to
cohabitate on the same machine.

When I set up lilo with another os (being os/2) I can boot from the drive
where the os/2 boot manager is, and it does indeed load an operating system
that isn't linux, but its not os/2 either.  It loads dos.  The drive
structure is such:

1'st IDE drive: WD 540 meg, formatted ext2fs, linux, lilo on MBR
2'nd IDE drive: WD 540 meg, 1'st partiton 1 meg with os/2 boot manager, 2'nd
                partition is DOS/Windoze, formatted FAT
3'rd IDE drive: WD 340 meg, formatted hpfs, os/2 warp, no boot manager
Linux:          Slackware 2.0, patched kernel to 1.1.38 (where the drives
                actualy work for the first time with no BIOS adjustments!)
Other Problem
causing toys:   Mitsumi CDROM, Colorado 250MB tape (I stopped posting about
                that one long ago :(, 2 floppies, Soundblaster 16 compatible
                sound card, SMC Elite combo ethernet card (8013EC or ~)

So LILO seems to skip right over the partition with os/2's boot manager and
loads up DOS.  Despite the fact that i specified in my lilo.conf for the
os/2_db (spelling) loader to use /dev/hdb1, and that dos is on hdb2.

I've tried putting the other 540 meg drive first, and using OS/2's boot
manager to load everything.  But the fdisk setup program for os/2's boot
manager refuses to believe that there is an operting system on the linux
drive, and it won't let me set up a boot manager option to load it.   :(

I've also tried a utility I picked up from a sunsite cd; setboot.  This is
supposed to pick a boot manager to use on reboot from among different drives
and partition.  It can't seem to find ANY boot managers though, not even the
one that LInux is using!  (damn thing)

On a side note I can't get LInux to read my third drive.  I used the
MAKEDEV script to build the device drivers for the third drive (hd1a)
but Linux just gives that annoying useless drive busy, wrong fs type, or
some other error when I try to access it from anything like mount or fdisk.
This seems to hold true whether the third drive is the DOS drive or the HPFS
one.  DOS/WINDOZE/OS/2 can all see this drive fine though....
Perhaps this is a problem with Enhanced IDE controllers on PCI buses?

Well, I'll stop here.  :)
If I can get all that to work, I'll be a very happy camper for a few days
until I start tinkering with other stuff.  I seem to enjoy setting up
odd things much more than I do using them anyhow.   ;>

-Steve Rojem

2. statd messages

3. Need Help with LILO it won't boot 95

4. y2k reboot required?

5. Upp'd to Win '95, Lost LILO

6. Installuin problem

7. Why won't win 95 enforce authentication from my nmb/smb servers.

8. harddrive questions

9. Win 95 + Linux + LILO doesn't work anymore :(

10. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

11. Starbuck won't boot, rescue disk won't mount

12. 'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'