CDROM Problems / Dselect Problems

Post by Not your Concer » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello all,
I'm a newbie to linux and was installing it on a computer for the first
time today.
I was installing the Debian distribution of linux and everything was fine
till I got to dselect
and tried to choose my CD-ROM for access. (I had installed from disks). I
get a screen saying:
"I see that /dev/cdrom exists and is a block device"
"Insert the CD- ROM and enter the block device name [/dev/cdrom]:"
Then I hit enter and this message pops up.
"optcd: unknown drive detected; aborting"
"mount; the kernel does not recognize /dev/CD-ROM as a block device (maybe
'insomd driver'?)"
"Unable to mount /dev/CD-ROM on /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt, type iso9660."
"Insert the CD- ROM and enter the block device name [/dev/CD-ROM]:"
I have no idea what to do at this point. I have a regular IDE CD-ROM (plugs
into the IDE sec. interface).
Any ideas?

bhansen at axxis dot net

1. Install and dselect: access - cdrom - block device name???

/dev/hda      //this is the master IDE interface on the first controller
/dev/hdb      //this is the slave IDE interface on the first controller
/dev/hdc      //this is the master IDE interface on the second controller
/dev/hdd      //this is the slave IDE interface on the second controller

most IDE cdrom's are on /dev/hdc.   So, enter    /dev/hdc

My thoughts for you:   Don't flame the newbies.  Just press 'Next Unread'
        and move on with your life, your point is moot.

2. Please Help with Samba 2.0.4b

3. Debian dselect problem: trn, leafnode, inews

4. Anything out there that plays "RealMedia" streams?

5. installation problem: no dselect or dpkg

6. serail mouse can't be used

7. Debian 1.1 install problem (Dselect)

8. Domain name and Sendmail

9. /amount problem after dselect