Realtek RTL8129 NIC Card

Post by Ron Braithwait » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Well, so far 5.2 is real cool, but I am a Linux newbie and am having some
minor gotchas.

Biggest one here is that my Realtek RTL8129 PCI Fast Ethernet card is not
recognized during setup and I don't see anything in the list that matches
it. I've found the Taiwanese Web site and even more remarkably have found
the English version. But they only have the M$ drivers and not Linux.

So here's the next one, I have a Brother HL-1040 that emulates a HPLJIIP,
but the driver only thinks it has 300x300 resolution, while it normally runs
at 600x600. Anyone know anything special about this? I want to use this as
the network printer for the three Windoze boxes attached.

Finally, I have a HSP 56K V.90 PCI modem, again with no drivers. Any
thoughts on this one?

I appreciate the help.

Peace,
Ron Braithwaite

Realtek RTL8129 NIC Card

:
: Biggest one here is that my Realtek RTL8129 PCI Fast Ethernet card is not
: recognized during setup and I don't see anything in the list that matches
: it. I've found the Taiwanese Web site and even more remarkably have found
: the English version. But they only have the M$ drivers and not Linux.

You'll probably have to recompile your kernel to add support for this
card, or get a module for it.  If I recall correctly (I had one of these
cards for approximately a week), the driver disk included w/ the card (or,
included w/ my card, at least -- it was a generic brand, based on the
RealTek chipset) had a kernel module for Linux, along with instructions on
how to go about using it.

:
: So here's the next one, I have a Brother HL-1040 that emulates a HPLJIIP,
: but the driver only thinks it has 300x300 resolution, while it normally runs
: at 600x600. Anyone know anything special about this? I want to use this as
: the network printer for the three Windoze boxes attached.

Not my area of expertise

:
: Finally, I have a HSP 56K V.90 PCI modem, again with no drivers. Any
: thoughts on this one?

More than likely, this modem is not going to work.  It's a PCI modem, and
most of those are dreaded winModems (and the ones that aren't may as well
be, since many lack a serial interface, a la a normal isa modem).

________________________________

Todd Ostermeier

http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ostermer/index.html
ICQ UIN: 2253928
A-723
________________________________

Realtek RTL8129 NIC Card

Post by JaKoo » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

There is a driver for it on realtek's sight...it's not for the most recent
kernel though, i believe that 2.0.36 comes with redhat 5.2, and it won't
work with that one...kernel 2.2.0 comes with support 'ready to compile'

Quote:>Well, so far 5.2 is real cool, but I am a Linux newbie and am having some

Post by Robert Curren » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Well, so far 5.2 is real cool, but I am a Linux newbie and am having some
> minor gotchas.

> Biggest one here is that my Realtek RTL8129 PCI Fast Ethernet card is not
> recognized during setup and I don't see anything in the list that matches
> it. I've found the Taiwanese Web site and even more remarkably have found
> the English version. But they only have the M$ drivers and not Linux.

I had this same problem, and could find no way around it.

Eventually, I just installed RedHat 5.1 insted, and then both my
Ethernet card and Sound Card worked fine (after configuring the sound
card).

Then, I installed RedHat 5.2 using the "Upgrade" option duing install,
and it all still works fine... then I started in on installing all the
updates from ftp://update.redhat.com and finally the box works, and is
fairly up to date.

I don't know it that helps or not, but it is the ONLY way I found around
the problem.  To me it seems like some kind of bug in RedHat 5.2.

Quote:> So here's the next one, I have a Brother HL-1040 that emulates a HPLJIIP,
> but the driver only thinks it has 300x300 resolution, while it normally runs
> at 600x600. Anyone know anything special about this? I want to use this as
> the network printer for the three Windoze boxes attached.

I'll pass on this one, I am not sure.

Quote:> Finally, I have a HSP 56K V.90 PCI modem, again with no drivers. Any
> thoughts on this one?

Well, that one should be easy, provided it's not a "gutted win-modem"
that doesn't really have all the chips it should.  Run "modemtool" and
select the com port it is set to (jumpered?  if not, jumper it).  Then
run "netcfg" and go to "interfaces" and add the modem, and enter your
ISP phone number and all that, and your set.

--

http://www.current.nu                - personal web site
"Hey mister, turn it on, turn it up, and turn me loose." - Dwight Yoakam

Realtek RTL8129 NIC Card

Post by Mete » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:30:57 -0800, "Ron Braithwaite"

>Well, so far 5.2 is real cool, but I am a Linux newbie and am having some
>minor gotchas.

I myself am a newbie. I can give you a partial solution.

Quote:>Biggest one here is that my Realtek RTL8129 PCI Fast Ethernet card is not
>recognized during setup and I don't see anything in the list that matches
>it. I've found the Taiwanese Web site and even more remarkably have found
>the English version. But they only have the M$ drivers and not Linux.

I have a rtl8139. You can get a linux driver for the rtl8129/rtl8139
at http://www.realtek.com.tw/. The same driver is included with the
RedHat 5.2 (intel) distribution. You can find it installed as
'/lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/rtl8139.o'. Source for this driver is
available at  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html.

To install it do:
- windows boxes have an address in the range: 192.168.0.x
- you need (I think) root access

- 'insmod /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/rtl8139.o'
- run 'lsmod' to see if the module is inserted
- 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask
255.255.255.0'
- run 'netstat -i' to see if there is an interface 'eth0'
- 'route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0'
- run 'ping 192.168.0.10' to see if you can reach that windows box

The problem I have is that I have to type it every time I boot (often
since I'm experimenting).

Does someone know where I put these commands so that they get executed
every time on startup? I think they need to be in 'rc.sysinit', but
where ? (chapter 11 of the 'redhat linux installation guide' doesn't
explain it in great depth :-(?

Realtek RTL8129 NIC Card

Post by Shane Bearha » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Well, so far 5.2 is real cool, but I am a Linux newbie and am having some
> minor gotchas.

> Biggest one here is that my Realtek RTL8129 PCI Fast Ethernet card is not
> recognized during setup and I don't see anything in the list that matches
> it. I've found the Taiwanese Web site and even more remarkably have found
> the English version. But they only have the M$ drivers and not Linux.

for kernel 2.0.36
these are the options I chose for the realtek card....
Though  I have it loaded as a module...but that doesn't matter

PCI Ethernet adapters (CONFIG_NET_PCI) [Y/n/?]
            .
            .

PCI NE2000 support (CONFIG_NE2K_PCI) [M/n/y/?]     <---- this is the one that
will do for you
            .
            .
RealTek 8129/8139 (not 8019/8029!) support (CONFIG_RTL8139) [M/n/y/?]
SMC EPIC/100 (EtherPower II) support (CONFIG_EPIC) [N/y/m/?]

Shane ()

--
+-----------------------------+----------------------------+

|  Working towards the future.  |     +61-41-496-2569      |
|    www.xtremetech.com.au       \        ICQ 353180       |
+---------------------------------+------------------------+

  3:13am  up 63 days,  3:45,  6 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.27, 0.19

1. Realtek RTL8129 Ethernet troubles

I am trying to get a Realtek RTL8129 10/100 Ethernet card up and running
on Linux.  I am using RedHat 4.2.  Currently I have a 3com 3c509
installed and I am trying to set up a subnet  with this second card.
During boot the card is not recognized. I get a unknown pci device
error.  I check dmesg and it is picked up as a Realtek Ethernet device,
but I can not get it running.  I tried to load the ne2000 module through
LILO with no success.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Darich

2. Asynchronous process communication via objects?

3. Linux with the Realtek RTL8129 and RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Controllers for PCI

4. First shell-permanent shell?

5. Realtek RTL8129 Network interface working with Linux ?

6. Samba Can't See Win2K Shares

7. PCI NIC card in same box as ISA NIC card ?

8. Help with Network Tweaking

9. Realtek NIC, no module to select

10. Realtek 8139b NIC

11. Linux device driver bugs on Realtek NIC Chipsets?

12. 2.4.4 NIC problems - Realtek 8139 and Xircom Cardbus

13. Realtek 8029 nic not working...