how elementary are the questions which may be asked on this SIG?

how elementary are the questions which may be asked on this SIG?

Post by Michael Eisenstad » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Since installing a new 6.4G HD and not yet discarding a
120M HD still in my box, I thought to fool around a bit
with LINUX.  I had never dared to try to repartion my 540M
HD which died earlier this year.

So I have been trying to install LINUX on my 120HD
(d: drive) with one or another of the most common
distributions.

I have tried to get started with Red Hat, Debian and
Slackware.  Apparently I am too technologically challenged
to follow the online instructions for the RH and Debian
start-up disks; only with Slackware have I been able
to get as far as to create a start-up disk with bare.i
and trantor.s that provides a working prompt line when
booted to.  I also made 3 floppies with umdos (.gz & .bat),
color and rescue on them and I have also downloaded
a1.tar thrugh a5.tar and ap1.tar onto my hd.  I put these
on logical drive e: in my e:\slackwar directory and
untared them with Winzip  which created a directory
hierarchy for each one.

I have gotten hold of 2 LINUX books from the library but
neither has explicit directions (of the sort I need) for
how to proceed.

What should I do at the prompt line after rebooting to
the Slackware start-up disk?  I note that the disk
correctly identifies the 2 physical HDs in my box,
the fda but not the SCSI card or the Nikon scanner and
Sanyo CD that are also in the box.  Perhaps this is
because trantor.s can not recoginze a Trantor 130B
SCSI card; the doc for trantor.s mentions the 128 and
other Trantor cards but not 130B.

Am I supposed first to reformat d: with the command
fdisk hdb?  There is nothing currently on d:

Or am I supposed to put the a1-a5 and ap1 files on d:
first and then...what?  Since the whole venture falls
into the category fun and games, the notion of purchasing
a $50 CD for installation seems supererogatory,
ignominious or maybe I am just too cheap.

Thanks in advance for any handholding you might be
prepared to proffer.  

Michael Eisenstadt

 
 
 

how elementary are the questions which may be asked on this SIG?

Post by Entro » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Quote:> first and then...what?  Since the whole venture falls
> into the category fun and games, the notion of purchasing
> a $50 CD for installation seems supererogatory,
> ignominious or maybe I am just too cheap.

I doubt it will be $50. A couple of months ago I bought the Info magic 6
CD set for 130 rand, which is about $20. It has all three distributions
as well as a ton of other stuff (some of it commerical) so a plain
Slackware CD shouldn't cost much at all.

Entropy
--
Please remove the ".nospam" from my address before replying
/--------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Bruce Merry (Entropy)            | bmerry at iafrica dot com       |
| Proud user of Linux!             | http://www.cs.uct.ac.za/~bmerry |
|            All power corrupts, but we need electricity             |
\--------------------------------------------------------------------/

 
 
 

how elementary are the questions which may be asked on this SIG?

Post by s. keeli » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> Since installing a new 6.4G HD and not yet discarding a 120M HD
> still in my box, I thought to fool around a bit with LINUX.  I had
> never dared to try to repartion my 540M HD which died earlier this
> year.

> So I have been trying to install LINUX on my 120HD (d: drive) with
> one or another of the most common distributions.

> I have tried to get started with Red Hat, Debian and Slackware.
> Apparently I am too technologically challenged to follow the online
> instructions for the RH and Debian start-up disks; only with
> Slackware have I been able to get as far as to create a start-up
> disk with bare.i and trantor.s that provides a working prompt line
> when

So, what did you do then?

Why don't you get the system up and running, then worry about
specific, unresponsive devices?

Quote:> booted to.  I also made 3 floppies with umdos (.gz & .bat), color
> and rescue on them and I have also downloaded a1.tar thrugh a5.tar
> and ap1.tar onto my hd.  I put these on logical drive e: in my
> e:\slackwar directory and untared them with Winzip which created a
> directory hierarchy for each one.

> I have gotten hold of 2 LINUX books from the library but neither has
> explicit directions (of the sort I need) for how to proceed.

I've found this to be a common failing in Linux books.  They
invariably give a good overview of using the system, but installation
questions are pointed toward other sources.  Probably fair, but not
very helpful.

Quote:> What should I do at the prompt line after rebooting to the Slackware
> start-up disk?  I note that the disk

Hit carriage return?  That should boot you into an install program
which asks you where everything is.

Quote:> correctly identifies the 2 physical HDs in my box, the fda but not
> the SCSI card or the Nikon scanner and Sanyo CD that are also in the
> box.  Perhaps this is because trantor.s can not recoginze a Trantor
> 130B SCSI card; the doc for trantor.s mentions the 128 and other
> Trantor cards but not 130B.

> Am I supposed first to reformat d: with the command fdisk hdb?
> There is nothing currently on d:

The install program will offer you the chance to tell it where you
want everything.  It wants to know where you intend to put Linux' root
and swap, and where any other bootable or mountable partitons there
are.  If you'd not yet fdisk'd a partition for it, recent
distributions pop up something called cfdisk to graphically do it for
you.

Quote:> Or am I supposed to put the a1-a5 and ap1 files on d: first and
> then...what?  Since the whole venture falls into the category fun
> and games, the notion of purchasing a $50 CD for installation seems
> supererogatory, ignominious or maybe I am just too cheap.

Eh?  Fifty bucks for binaries, source, documentation, for a system
that works reliably (once you shoe-horn it onto your machine :-) is a
paltry sum.

--

                            TopQuark Software & Serv. Enquire within.

  Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

 
 
 

1. i am new and have dumb questions to ask, please help!

i have a few really dumb quesitons.... but i got to start somewhere....

1)    after running configX, i don't know how to start metroX, help?

2)    for some reason, the ms serial mouse wouldn't work in Xfree86.  i
did run through mouseconfig, and even tried
                mouseconfig -kickstart -device cua0
       could someone please help?

thanx in advance.

friendly snoopy

2. New version of sfxserver uploaded

3. I am the beginner of C programming, a question I want to ask anybody?

4. iptables

5. Stupid $PATH question that I am ashamed to ask, but having no pride, I proceed

6. Linuxgruven.com = BAD NEWS

7. This clone thing...am I stupid, or am I right?

8. 2.4.21+pppoe

9. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

10. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

11. Am I seeing IPv5, or am I hallucinating?

12. I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....