update bios without DOS

Post by Dave Thompso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I want to update the bios of my bp6, but according to the abit site, you
have to run dos -- what if I only have linux running on the machine ?
Seems silly to install windows just so that I can update the bios !  I'm
presuming that the .exe file will not run under linux ...

Dave Thompson

update bios without DOS

Post by Dave Thompso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hmmm ... I don't have a dos floppy per se, but I guess my old win98 recovery
floppy boots to dos so I can work it from there.  I wasn't thinking clearly.

Interesting issue if I had never had windows, though.

Thanks !

Dave

> >I want to update the bios of my bp6, but according to the abit site, you
> >have to run dos -- what if I only have linux running on the machine ?
> >Seems silly to install windows just so that I can update the bios !  I'm
> >presuming that the .exe file will not run under linux ...

> Of course you can always boot of an old *bootable* dos floppy, on which you
> have copied the .exe as well.

> No need to install anything!

> --
>       Herman
> If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

> The Netherlands                 GnuPG key:   http://www.bruyn.org/gpgkey

update bios without DOS

Post by Pete » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> hmmm ... I don't have a dos floppy per se, but I guess my old win98 recovery
> floppy boots to dos so I can work it from there.  I wasn't thinking clearly.

> Interesting issue if I had never had windows, though.

You could download FreeDos in that case.

update bios without DOS

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> hmmm ... I don't have a dos floppy per se, but I guess my old win98
>> recovery floppy boots to dos so I can work it from there.  I wasn't
>> thinking clearly.

>> Interesting issue if I had never had windows, though.

>You could download FreeDos in that case.

Anybody ever have the nerve to try dosemu for this? Just curious.

--
Hal B

--

update bios without DOS

Post by Cameron Ker » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I want to update the bios of my bp6, but according to the abit site, you
> have to run dos -- what if I only have linux running on the machine ?
> Seems silly to install windows just so that I can update the bios !  I'm
> presuming that the .exe file will not run under linux ...

> Dave Thompson

OK, here's the lowdown.

DOS let's ANYTHING do ANYTHING with ANY hardware, it had little idea of
modularity.
Linux, on the other hand, is different, it NEVER? lets anything deal with
the hardware level, unless it is compiled into the kernel. This is why
Linux is sooo stable (unless configured improperly). It's also why there
are no real viruses targeted at Linux.

Now, since flashing the BIOS is such an important (and potentially lethal,
read the README on the disk), we need absolute control of the hardware, so
DOS is ideal.

Though, in retrospect, one could code a flashing program the replace the
OS, but that's more trouble than its worth, too inflexible, etc.

Make sure you flash with any "safe" options enabled. You might not be able
to boot otherwise, if something goes wrong (learn from my mistakes here
(esp. if it not your machine). AND ALWAYS DOWNLOAD A CRISIS RECOVERY DISK

You have been warned.

Have a nice day
Cameron

update bios without DOS

Post by Robie Bas » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:25:51 +1200, Cameron Kerr said:

>> I want to update the bios of my bp6, but according to the abit site, you
>> have to run dos -- what if I only have linux running on the machine ?
>> Seems silly to install windows just so that I can update the bios !  I'm
>> presuming that the .exe file will not run under linux ...

>> Dave Thompson

>OK, here's the lowdown.

>DOS let's ANYTHING do ANYTHING with ANY hardware, it had little idea of
>modularity.
>Linux, on the other hand, is different, it NEVER? lets anything deal with

Well, almost. If root wants to do it, the kernel doesn't stop it.
Which is why running as root is so dangerous. AFAIK root can still
only see virtual address space, though, although insmodding a custom
module would get around that.

Robie.

Quote:>the hardware level, unless it is compiled into the kernel. This is why

--

update bios without DOS

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I want to update the bios of my bp6, but according to the abit site, you
>have to run dos -- what if I only have linux running on the machine ?
>Seems silly to install windows just so that I can update the bios !  I'm
>presuming that the .exe file will not run under linux ...

If you run only linux it is hard to find a good reason for upgrading
the bios.

Villy

update bios without DOS

Post by Dave Thompso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

updating the bios is required if some new hardware has to be added that the
existing bios does not support, e.g. a faster processor and larger disks that did
not exist when the motherboard was purchased.

> >I want to update the bios of my bp6, but according to the abit site, you
> >have to run dos -- what if I only have linux running on the machine ?
> >Seems silly to install windows just so that I can update the bios !  I'm
> >presuming that the .exe file will not run under linux ...

> If you run only linux it is hard to find a good reason for upgrading
> the bios.

> Villy

update bios without DOS

Post by Richard Gaywoo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > >I want to update the bios of my bp6, but according to the abit site,
you
> > >have to run dos -- what if I only have linux running on the machine ?
> > >Seems silly to install windows just so that I can update the bios !
I'm
> > >presuming that the .exe file will not run under linux ...

This is probably *slightly* illegal, but go to any Windoze machine you can
find, make a boot disk, and shove the BIOS file & flash .EXE on there. Then,
boot off the floppy, flash the BIOS, and throw the floppy away.

--
                                           -=R=-

SRGC SR1+ SR2++ SR3+++ h++    |
b+++ !B UB IE++ RN++ W-       |
ri++ ma++ m+ gm+ M+ !P        |

                WoD have reviwed my first UT mutator and given it 4/5!
                http://www.planetunreal.com/wod/screens/denforcers.htm

update bios without DOS

Post by Michael Kel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[snip]

Quote:

> This is probably *slightly* illegal, but go to any Windoze machine you can
> find, make a boot disk, and shove the BIOS file & flash .EXE on there. Then,
> boot off the floppy, flash the BIOS, and throw the floppy away.

Well, if he wants to be "Mr. Clean" there are freeware Dos systems avail. for
download on the web.  He can make a Dos boot disk and rock & roll.

--

Mike
--

update bios without DOS

Post by Matthew J Zukowsk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

For a time, IBM had dos PCdos 5.00 for download on their website.

Microsoft does have all the utilities for MSdos 6.22 on their ftp site,
but I haven't dug deeply enough to see if they enclude a bootdisk.

Provided your motherboard / cd-rom drive supports it, you can always boot
the windows CD which gives you command.

But I don't know if it's actually violating the licence agreement to give
out a copy of the MS-dos boot disk 6.22 or below.  I've never seen
anything official from Microsoft either way.  It's still sold, so I assume
microsoft still wants money for it.  The funny thing is you can also get a
copy from good will as it's over 5 years old.

IBM did create a PC-dos 2000, woo woo.  You can even download it from the
web-site for $55.00 if you please.  17megs, what could they have encluded
to require so much.

----
But this is a good argument for the PC to support tftp.  It's really not
so strange in this day and age to except networking support.

----

Or alternativly, provided your rom is socketed, you could always just burn
a new one.  But it's a touch much to except for the end user to own one.

----

It's one of the hazards of running linux I fear, you do need access to a
ms-dos compatable boot disk to peform such updates.

: [snip]

:>
:> This is probably *slightly* illegal, but go to any Windoze machine you can
:> find, make a boot disk, and shove the BIOS file & flash .EXE on there. Then,
:> boot off the floppy, flash the BIOS, and throw the floppy away.

: Well, if he wants to be "Mr. Clean" there are freeware Dos systems avail. for
: download on the web.  He can make a Dos boot disk and rock & roll.

: --

: Mike
: --