Placing Linux root partition beyond cluster 1024?

Placing Linux root partition beyond cluster 1024?

Post by Thomas Stuart Manle » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm new to Linux so I picked up O'Reilly & Associates "Running Linux" to
help me get started.  In this book it stated that the Linux root partition
cannot be placed beyond cluster 1024 if you expect to boot from it using
LILO.  I just bought a new computer with a WD 3.2GB drive and I am trying
to determine the best way to setup my Win95, Linux native, and Linux swap
partitions.  This book is somewhat out-of-date (it references to kernel
version 1.1.52) and I was wondering if this is still true for current
stable kernel releases?  I am currently running Red Hat Linux 4.0
commercial distribution.

Thomas Stuart Manley =^.^=

Placing Linux root partition beyond cluster 1024?

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm new to Linux so I picked up O'Reilly & Associates "Running Linux" to
>help me get started.  In this book it stated that the Linux root partition
>cannot be placed beyond cluster 1024 if you expect to boot from it using
>LILO.

Actually, it's CYLINDER 1024, not cluster.

Quote:>I just bought a new computer with a WD 3.2GB drive and I am trying
>to determine the best way to setup my Win95, Linux native, and Linux swap
>partitions.  This book is somewhat out-of-date (it references to kernel
>version 1.1.52) and I was wondering if this is still true for current
>stable kernel releases?  I am currently running Red Hat Linux 4.0
>commercial distribution.

It's true of all OSes on Intel-based PCs with the usual BIOSes, because
it's a BIOS limitation, and the BIOS must be used to boot the system.
Note that this may or may not be a problem depending upon how your BIOS
handles the 3.2GB drive -- it may, for instance, do CHS ("Cylinder-Head-
Sector") geometry re-mapping, which is sometimes erroneously referred to
as "LBA mode."  Modern versions of LILO and Linux should detect this and
integrate with it seamlessly, though I do still occasionally see problem
reports on this issue, in which case there's a HOWTO on the subject.

| Rod Smith                                 Author of:               |

| http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~rodsmith   "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

1. linux on partition beyond 1024 cylinders?

Are there any boot managers/loaders that can boot Linux when it is
installed beyond the 1024 cylinder "limit"? I've got a 9GB SCSI drive with
WinNT already installed in the first 2GB partition. The easiest
installation is to put Linux in the next 2GB partition, but when I did that
using my "standard" dual-boot setup procedure, booting off the install
diskette (after "successful" installation of Linux on /dev/sda2) with LILO
command "linux root=/dev/sda2" resulted in a stuck system. I'd like to
avoid messing with the WinNT installation, if possible.

Thanks.

-Steve

2. Can't compile 1.2.13 kernel. Prob with NCR SCSI drivers.

3. linux root partition past the 1024 cylinder limit??

4. Kernel oops; 2xPPro+AIC7880U+AHA-2940U

5. Linux beyond 1024 Cylinder

6. HP-CP-2000

7. Installing LINUX beyond 1024 cylinders

8. MIDI problems with ESS 1868

9. Linux Installed beyond 1024 cylinders

10. Q: any way to expand variable length in csh beyond 1024?

11. DOS FAT unknown beyond 1024 cylinders

12. how to use disk beyond cylander 1024

13. Large disk boot beyond 1024 cylinders with LILO