ZIP drive partition problem

Post by bill davids » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

  I just installed a ZIP drive, 100MB internal ATAPI, in a system, and
I'm having an interesting problem. After I booted, I couldn't find the
partition table on any of my existing ZIP media.

  My first thought was that the media might be bad. I wrote a new
partition table on a spare media, made a file system, write to it,
unmounted, pulled it out, put it back, mounted it... and it worked fine.
So that seems to let the hardware out. I took a disk which had been used
as a 100MB tape, with a backup just written as root to /dev/hdd. I was
able to read that just fine.

  I was getting pretty sure that I really had erased my existing disks,
so I put them in another ZIP drive on another system. I have another
100MB internal ATAPI, a parallel 100, and an external SCSI 100. Lo and
behold the disks I wrote on old drives were all okay, the disk with a
partition table written on the new drive was not readable, and the disk
with the backup was perfectly readable on any drive. Since the backup
was a cpio with CRC on each file, I'm sure the data was read correctly.,
and I printed a table of contents which was correct.

  Is there some magic which tells the system where to find the partition
table or some such? Any ideas at all? If it helps, the unit is now made
under license by Panasonic, and it's hdb on the new system, due to cable
problems, this is an 11 bay tower, and the only free cable drop was
there, until I get another cable made up.

  I checked master and slave settings, and the hda drive is okay, the
physical end to end read was okay, so I think the hardware is fine. I
also tried a 2.2.14, 2.2.15pre14, 2.3.48 and 2.3.99pre3kernel boot to
see if that made any difference. It didn't, all worked the same. Since
my kernels work on other systems, and read the physical sectors
correctly, I suspect a setup trick on this drive.

  I am now sort of out of ideas, unless someone has a clear idea of
what's happening.

--

  "Doing interesting things with little computers since 1979"(tm)
The hardest test of maturity is knowing the difference between

ZIP drive partition problem

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>  I just installed a ZIP drive, 100MB internal ATAPI, in a system, and
>I'm having an interesting problem. After I booted, I couldn't find the
>partition table on any of my existing ZIP media.

>  My first thought was that the media might be bad. I wrote a new
>partition table on a spare media, made a file system, write to it,
>unmounted, pulled it out, put it back, mounted it... and it worked fine.
>So that seems to let the hardware out. I took a disk which had been used
>as a 100MB tape, with a backup just written as root to /dev/hdd. I was
>able to read that just fine.

Zips store their info on partition 4 ie sda4, hdd4 etc.....

<snip>

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
"The Lord gave us farmers two strong hands so we could grab as much as

Post by Matthias Meixn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:
:   I just installed a ZIP drive, 100MB internal ATAPI, in a system, and
: I'm having an interesting problem. After I booted, I couldn't find the
: partition table on any of my existing ZIP media.

The problem is that some but not all ATAPI Zip drives skip the first track
(32 sectors i.e. partition table). Therefore one some drives you cannot
access the partition table whereas you can on others. If you write
another partition table on drives, that skip the first track, you will not
be able to read it on other drives that do not skip the first track.

The best you can do to work around that is to use factory partitioned disks
and mount them as partitioned disk (e.g. /dev/hdd4) on drives that support
the partition table and mount them as superfloppy (e.g. /dev/hdd) on drives
that skip the first 32 sectors.

I have already called Iomega-Support, but the man on the phone had no clue.

In my eyes this is a big mess, and if anyone knows a solution that allows
to access all sectors on all drives, please let me know, since I have
got several drives of both types here at work.

- Matthias Meixner

--

Technische Universit?t Darmstadt
Rechnerbetriebsgruppe                          Telefon (+49) 6151 16 6670

Post by James Silverto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> :
> :   I just installed a ZIP drive, 100MB internal ATAPI, in a system, and
> : I'm having an interesting problem. After I booted, I couldn't find the
> : partition table on any of my existing ZIP media.

> The problem is that some but not all ATAPI Zip drives skip the first track
> (32 sectors i.e. partition table). Therefore one some drives you cannot
> access the partition table whereas you can on others. If you write
> another partition table on drives, that skip the first track, you will not
> be able to read it on other drives that do not skip the first track.

> The best you can do to work around that is to use factory partitioned disks
> and mount them as partitioned disk (e.g. /dev/hdd4) on drives that support
> the partition table and mount them as superfloppy (e.g. /dev/hdd) on drives
> that skip the first 32 sectors.

> I have already called Iomega-Support, but the man on the phone had no clue.

> In my eyes this is a big mess, and if anyone knows a solution that allows
> to access all sectors on all drives, please let me know, since I have
> got several drives of both types here at work.

I have support for my Atapi zip drive installed with SuSE6.2. The
December 1999 issue of Linux Magazine (not ordinarily my favorite) had a
good article on installing zip drives. I set mine up under KDE using
zip.kdelnk without much problem. The device is /dev/hdb4. So far, I have
not tried more elaborate things like formatting or setting up a Linux
file system.

Ejection from the keyboard or using a mouse can be done but it requires
Jeff Tranter's Eject program from Freshmeat. I have one small problem
there in that "eject /mnt/zip" does eject but the "mounted" indicator on
the KDE icon does not change. A zip disk, formatted under Windows98, can
be read and written under Linux. As a test, I have verified that a text
file, copied to the zip disk by dragging with a mouse, can be seen in a
W98 directory box and read by WordPad.

Jim.

--
James V.  Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

ZIP drive partition problem

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>Ejection from the keyboard or using a mouse can be done but it requires
>Jeff Tranter's Eject program from Freshmeat. I have one small problem
>there in that "eject /mnt/zip" does eject but the "mounted" indicator on
>the KDE icon does not change.

Before doing an eject, make sure you unmount the device first.
I set up and alias the unmounts first before ejecting.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
        The judge fined the jaywalker fifty dollars and told him if he was

1. HELP: IDE ZIP drive and Red hat, cannot access Zip drive

Hi Linux friends,

I have a IDE ZIPdrive and want to use it under Linux
Currently I have Redhat 4.1 installed.

During start-up it finds my IDE zip at /dev/hdc (/dev/hdb
is my IDE cdrom), however any attempt to mount a disk or to access with
mtools failed. Mtools gives me a read error, with obscure messages like
hdc: packect command error: status=0x51 error=0x50.... (sigh)

Do I have to upgrade to Redhat 5.0. I read somewhere that it might work.
Does anybody has more experience with this matter and hence could
anybody give me some valuable advice, before I run to the store and buy
redhat 5.0 or get myself a scsi ZIP drive.

Thanx guys,

Hans Kramer

2. Sound Blaster Pro. Can I get 16 bit sound?

3. Iomega ZIP parallel zip drive under red hat linux 6.0 problem solved

4. Databases

5. SCSI Zip drive w/ Zip zoom scsi adapter problems...

6. can't login after setup

7. Partitioning Zip drives

8. installing REDHAT!

9. using the parallel zip drive under linux as a partition?

10. ATAPI Zip drive-- mount partition 1 or 4????

11. boot partition on ZIP-drive, ist it possible?

12. Zip Zoom Cards & Zip Drives

13. Zip temp FAQ: Linux Zip drive