Redhat 7.3, aRTs does not play nicely with other apps

Redhat 7.3, aRTs does not play nicely with other apps

Post by Moore, Conan [CAR:W669:EXCH » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:31:10

Hi

I'm having trouble getting third-party apps (Realplayer8 in particular) to
work properly under KDE. As a non-ROOT user, any attempt to get RP8 to play
video stream gets 'Audio device in use' error.

The only solution I've found is to disable aRTs sound system. This allows
RP8 to work properly but of course turns off all system sounds.

Does anyone else have this problem? can anyone suggest another solution
which will allow me to have system sounds and audio from RP, VMWare etc etc.

Currently installed:
arts-1.0.3-0.7.1
kdebase-3.0.3-0.7.2

Thanks for your help

Redhat 7.3, aRTs does not play nicely with other apps

Post by Lenar » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:56:32

begin  On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:31:10 -0400, Moore, Conan [CAR:W669:EXCH]

Quote:> Hi

> I'm having trouble getting third-party apps (Realplayer8 in particular)
> to work properly under KDE. As a non-ROOT user, any attempt to get RP8
> to play video stream gets 'Audio device in use' error.

> The only solution I've found is to disable aRTs sound system. This
> allows RP8 to work properly but of course turns off all system sounds.

You did not really need to do this, just drop the Autosuspend if idle
timeout down to 1-2 seconds for the aRTs sound system.

Quote:> Does anyone else have this problem? can anyone suggest another solution
> which will allow me to have system sounds and audio from RP, VMWare etc
> etc.

Can't say for sure, since you have not provided any hardware information.
Most applications can use either the Alsa, Esound or OSS sound packages,
which can be found on the RHL-7.3 CD's(esound and oss only). It's up to
you to select the sound driver with the application in most cases. Check
under the preferences section of the application.

Quote:> Currently installed:

--
end
If you cannot read this, use a non-Microsoft reader!!

1. Serial ports not playing nicely

Hoping you smart guys can figure this one out for me:

I'm running RedHat 5/2.0.32, trying to talk to an external Hayes Optima 33.6
with no response.  A quick lookie at dmesg shows that Serial driver 4.13 is
references that I need to make sure that "serial-line support is enabled in the
kernel"...  I've recompiled the kernel (not absolutely sure I made the right
choices, but chose everything that seemed to relate to serial ports) and still
have the same problem.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

2. Paint Shop Pro for Linux?

3. Solaris x86 and Alpha Linux: Not Playing nicely

4. Postscript Printing

5. how to use exceed to view redhat 7.3 xwindow app in windows 2000

6. Kernel 2.4.2 and 'all blowed up' on e2fsck check of /dev/hda1

7. Redhat 7.3 DoS attack

8. reiserfs error message

9. Redhat Linux 7.1/7.3 hangs completely when doing LS on smbfs.

10. Accessing Native Dos drives from Win4Lin 4.0 in Redhat 7.3

11. Mgetty and modem not playing well w/ others

12. Redhat 7.3, flash + java in Konqueror not working

13. X and REDHAT 7.3 does not work.