Books on Linux

Post by Jim Swanso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Okay, here's a tough one.  I'm looking for a book on using Linux as a
workstation.  Yes, a workstation, not a server.  Every book I've found
(outside of the manual that came with it) describes how to set up Linux as a
server.  I just want a simple, stable, development workstation.  Is that too
much to ask?  I'm using TurboLinux 4 WORKSTATION.  I don't need the server
part.  I want it to be able to access NT and Netware server volumes.  I can
get Win 9x and NT WS machines to hook up to my Linux machine, but I can't
find a way to have the Linux machine look at the servers on my network.  Any
suggestions?

--
Jim Swanson
MCSE, MCP + Internet

Books on Linux

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Okay, here's a tough one.  I'm looking for a book on using Linux as a
> workstation.  Yes, a workstation, not a server.  Every book I've found
> (outside of the manual that came with it) describes how to set up Linux as a
> server.  I just want a simple, stable, development workstation.  Is that too
> much to ask?  I'm using TurboLinux 4 WORKSTATION.  I don't need the server
> part.  I want it to be able to access NT and Netware server volumes.  I can
> get Win 9x and NT WS machines to hook up to my Linux machine, but I can't
> find a way to have the Linux machine look at the servers on my network.  Any
> suggestions?

You can use the smbmount command to mount remote NT shares (via
Microsoft's Windows networking protocols, SMB/CIFS). I don't know about
Netware shares.

As to general operations, most of the information on configuring and using
Linux is similar for workstation and server use -- e.g., installing the
OS, setting up accounts, logging in, running programs, etc. I suggest you
browse at your book store until you find a book that seems to cover the
sorts of topics that are most important to you, and that's written at a
level with which you're comfortable.

FWIW, I've got assorted book suggestions on my web site,
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod/books.html. I don't really
address the server-vs-workstation use issue very explicitly in my
recommendations, though.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux