Anyone try to connect two machine with NT workstation and Linux?

Anyone try to connect two machine with NT workstation and Linux?

Post by Barrow Hon-Kai Kw » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

        I have two machine which one NT workstation on one side and Linux on
the other.  Right now, I want to connect the two machines together by two
cheap ethernet card.  I have tried to telnet from NT to Linux and Linux to
NT, but without any success.  Can anyone tell me how to make it work?
especially, what IP, Netmask,.... address I can use?  I usually use my NT
workstation to login to my UNIX a/c ( at school ) using SLIP.

Thank in advance.

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
|  Barrow Hon-Kai Kwan                   San Francisco State University     |

|  URL    : http://futon.sfsu.edu/%7Ebarrow                                 |
\*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

Anyone try to connect two machine with NT workstation and Linux?

Post by Bill Loyt » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

Quote:

>Hi all,

>        I have two machine which one NT workstation on one side and Linux on
>the other.  Right now, I want to connect the two machines together by two
>cheap ethernet card.  I have tried to telnet from NT to Linux and Linux to
>NT, but without any success.  Can anyone tell me how to make it work?
>especially, what IP, Netmask,.... address I can use?  I usually use my NT
>workstation to login to my UNIX a/c ( at school ) using SLIP.

Hi,

I have Linux running on an old compaq 486/25, and it talks to my NT box quite
nicely.

To get started, I installed DOS/WFWG on my older box, just to make sure taht I
could get the machines to talk, then I took the plunge and got it running with
linux.  If you have only two boxes, it should be no sweat, because you can just
'make up' your IP addresses, and define them statically (no need to mess with
DHCP).  On the linux box, I just followed the prompts with netconfig and all was
well.

The problem you describe is, I think, because there is not a telnet daemon included
with NT.  There are some share/freeware ones out there that I have been using.  The
easiest shareware version taht I found was on (of all places) compuserve.. it was
(I think) Ataman RLOGIND and TELNETD.  Just follow the readme, and you should be in
good shape.

Even if you cant get at a telnet or rlogin demon for NT, you should still be able
to use FTP (if you are using NT 3.5).

Have fun,

Bill

1. FYI: to anyone trying to get the second b channel to connect under linux

i read a document somewhere (sorry i forget the url)
that stated "Multilink PPP is only compatible with PAP"

so if you isp doesnt support PAP well your not SOL but ill tell you one
thing simple text authintacation is not gonna work
if you cant to connect both b-channels

if you have a 3comImpactIQ setup it up under windows95/98 for 64kbs per
channel and multilink enabled
if you dont have windows its ats60=64s80=1

s60=64 sets your rate to 64kbps
and
s80=1 enables Multilink PPP

i hope this helps someone
i spent 18 hours searching for a lot of info and trying out many ideas and
thats what works...

again in summary

Im using PAP as my authintacation protocol
i setup my 3comImpactIQ in windows so my init string is just AT&FH0
and to dial atd#######

good luck to all
its been fun
felix

2. FAQ on Linux?

3. Please Be Gentle: Anyone install Linux, NT Workstation, & NT Server on one box?

4. VIA and Linux

5. How to connect NT machine through samba Linux box to NT net?

6. S/Key for SCO?

7. Trying to connect a Linux workstation to a NetWare6 server

8. Configuring DNS and strange boot problem

9. Can Samba let my Linux machine act as a workstation/client in NT LAN?

10. Connect Linux workstation to NT server??

11. how to connect nt workstation to linux server?

12. Does anyone has ever tried to install 95,98,NT, and Linux....

13. Has anyone ever tried to connect Linux and Vines ?