Help! Xserver failing to come up

Post by Phil Ke » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I get the following error message when I try and start my Xserver under
2.0.26. I had it working and for the life of me I cannot think of what I did
to make things fail. I am using xinside 1.2(beta 6), but the same errors occur
when I try and use the XFree SVGA server.

Quote:>Cannot open console
>: I/O error
>FATAL: Failed to setup display.
>TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: errno = 111
>giving up.
>xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
>xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

If anyone had any idea of what I might have trashed, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance
Phil Kemp

Post by Matthew Richardso » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I get the following error message when I try and start my Xserver under
> 2.0.26. I had it working and for the life of me I cannot think of what I did
> to make things fail. I am using xinside 1.2(beta 6), but the same errors occur
> when I try and use the XFree SVGA server.

> >Cannot open console
> >: I/O error

> >FATAL: Failed to setup display.
> >TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: errno = 111

> >giving up.
> >xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
> >xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

> If anyone had any idea of what I might have trashed, I would be very grateful.

Hi,
        You haven't trashed anything! You are probably using a slackware
ditribution and it did not make the device /dev/console.  Simply cd to
/dev.  and type make console.  If that gives you some errors there is
probably a a file called MAKEFILE-C.README or something. Look in there
and se what device the console was setup under (ie, perhaps /dev/cons is
defined as console.) then simply make <enter new name here>. I kept
getting errors when I went through this, but after likie 4 times i did
la -al | grep console and it was there.  Also make sure that you run
Xconfig in /usr/X11R6/xf86config so that you can configure your monitor
and video card settings.

Hope this helps someone! :)

Later, matt

Help! Xserver failing to come up

Post by Massimiliano Liccard » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi,
>         You haven't trashed anything! You are probably using a slackware
> ditribution and it did not make the device /dev/console.  Simply cd to
> /dev.  and type make console.  If that gives you some errors there is
> probably a a file called MAKEFILE-C.README or something. Look in there
> and se what device the console was setup under (ie, perhaps /dev/cons is
> defined as console.) then simply make <enter new name here>. I kept
> getting errors when I went through this, but after likie 4 times i did
> la -al | grep console and it was there.  Also make sure that you run
> Xconfig in /usr/X11R6/xf86config so that you can configure your monitor
> and video card settings.

> Hope this helps someone! :)

> Later, matt

Hi Matt,
I have the same problem with startx but I have my /dev/console !!!!
Every time I boot my linux I obtain this message:

xt1 init: open(/dev/console): I/O error

I'm not able to run loadkeys, too.

--

                                 "..fatti non foste per viver come