Color depth 2

Post by Gardner » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I posted a day or so ago about not being able to get any more than 8bpp color.
Someone posted a url where I might find some help. Can you post that again,
I've lost my original message. Also an added problem to this problem adding
-bpp 16 or -bpp 24 to startx doesn't do anything, it still sticks with 8bpp.
I'm running with an SiS 5597 video card built into the motherboard, and my GUI
is Kde.

Jonathan

1. NewbieQ: color and color depth

Hi,

It seems that I can only use quite limited set of colors. Can you tell
me how I can use more colors?

For example, I got "cannot allocate colormap" if I say:

$ xterm -bg MediumSeaGreen
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "MediumSeaGreen"

but it is ok to use darkgreen.

I read a lot of specs on docs.sun.com and still can't figure out how to
do it. Could you help please?

I think the problem is that I can only start my xterm with 8b color
depth instaed of 16b. Another interestion thing is that I test the color
with demo program comes with TK and I sure can use "MediumSeaGreen" in
tk.

hmmm, confused... please help

-- Tong
Anti-spam: remove underscore(s) to reply.
Welcome to my homepage http://members.xoom.com/suntong001/
  - All free contribution & collection
  - freeware &  music from the heavens

2. How-to Set up Internal Modem for COM3?

3. Colour/color depth

4. files > 2Gb

5. Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?

6. 2.4.17,2.4.18 ide-scsi+usb-storage+devfs Oops

7. Dual displays running different color depths. Possible?

8. difference between a console and terminal

9. How to verify my color depth?

10. Setting colour depth on a per-user basis?

11. color depth

12. AIX 4.31/Color depth

13. color depth problem