kernelcompiling and as86, ld86

Post by co » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 06:59:32

Compiling a kernel "make" gets into linux/arch/i386/boot
There, in the Makefile "as86" is called.
I get an error and exit.
There also exist a "ld86".
They are not part of "binutils" or "egcs".
Can somebody tell me.

Cor.

Post by anc » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 08:27:13

> Compiling a kernel "make" gets into linux/arch/i386/boot
> There, in the Makefile "as86" is called.
> I get an error and exit.
> There also exist a "ld86".
> They are not part of "binutils" or "egcs".
> Can somebody tell me.

> Cor.

Which kernel version do you have already and which version are you upgrading
to ? As is the assembler and ld the linker, 86 refers to Intel 86
archietecture, 386,486 etc. You may need an upgraded modutils as well.
http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/binutils.html

Post by co » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 08:01:57

>> Compiling a kernel "make" gets into linux/arch/i386/boot
>> There, in the Makefile "as86" is called.
>>  not part of "binutils" or "egcs".

>> Cor.

>Which kernel version do you have already and which version are you upgrading
>to ? As is the assembler and ld the linker, 86 refers to Intel 86
>archietecture, 386,486 etc. You may need an upgraded modutils as well.
>http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/binutils.html

I'm running 2.4.x on Mandrake 8.0, and i'm compiling a Linus
Thorvald (spelling?) 2.2.x, with math-emulation.
The command as86 also has a option -0 .
 didn't do a rpm-query at modutils yet.
 I thought i should be able to compile a kernel of equal or older age.
 I did a "grep as86" and the Makefile above was the only place .

 thanks for reaction  ,Cor

Post by Paul Kimot » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 08:12:58

> Compiling a kernel "make" gets into linux/arch/i386/boot
> There, in the Makefile "as86" is called.
> I get an error and exit.
> There also exist a "ld86".
> They are not part of "binutils" or "egcs".

You need to install a package called "bin86" or "dev86" (as I recall).

(Note: you don't need these for 2.4.* kernels.)

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

Post by co » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 08:44:04

>> Compiling a kernel "make" gets into linux/arch/i386/boot
>> There, in the Makefile "as86" is called.
>> I get an error and exit.
>> There also exist a "ld86".
>> They are not part of "binutils" or "egcs".

>You need to install a package called "bin86" or "dev86" (as I recall).

>(Note: you don't need these for 2.4.* kernels.)

>--
>Paul Kimoto
>This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
>hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
>and may be a violation of international copyright law.

They are in dev86. Thanks, beautifull, in such a short time.
Half a year linux, textmode. A couple of weeks reading
newsgroups.
Hope soon to contribute.(?).

cor

1. as86/ld86 problems compiling 1.3.35 kernel

As always, I'm afraid I may be posting a question that's been answered
a billion times, so please bear with me if that's the case.

I'm attempting to compile the 1.3.35 kernel, which I've done successfully
before.  Of course, that was before I updated my system to be ELF compatible.
In so doing, I upgraded to gcc-2.7.0 and binutils-2.5.2l.17.  Now when I try
to compile the kernel, as86 complains that it doesn't know the -0 option.
This occurs near the end of the process, in arch/i386/boot.

Should I just go back to an older version of as86 (and ld86)?  Or is there
something else I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

        -Ed

Iowa State University                       Opinions are my own, etc, etc...

2. kernel 1.2.8 and ne2000

3. Where do as86 and ld86 come from?

4. network os/disk management -- testbed application

5. Compiling AS86 and LD86 under AIX/PS2 1.2.1 with GCC 2.2.2

6. Adding a Second Network Card

7. as86/ld86

8. protect a web directory from "web suckers" ;)

9. what package are as86/ld86 in?

10. Problem with compiling kernel (as86, ld86)

11. as86/ld86?

12. Where are ld86 and as86?

13. Where do I find AS86, AS386 and LD86?