Philips/LMS CM205 unrecognized by lmscd0.4.diff-patched 1.2.6 kernel

Philips/LMS CM205 unrecognized by lmscd0.4.diff-patched 1.2.6 kernel

Post by Mark S Petrov » Mon, 01 May 1995 04:00:00

I'm attempting to include support for a Media Vision Fusion CD 16 sound
system in the Linux 1.2.6 kernel.  The Media Vision product consists of
a Pro Audio Spectrum 16(P) sound card, which features an LMS250 adapter,
coupled with an LMS CM205 CD drive.  I've obtained and applied the
appropriate kernel patch lmscd0.4.diff.  I supplied the LMS 'make
config' questions with appropriate IRQ and I/O values.  Booting the new
kernel still meets with failure where the LMS support is concerned.

Question 1:  Anyone recognize the LMSCD errors below, produced with
increased debugging levels in lmscd.c.

Question 2:  When I cat /proc/devices I do not see a block device
associated with the CD drive.  Why would this be the case, given an
ostensibly successful kernel compilation?

Question 3:  As an aside, OS/2 Warp sees the drive as a CM205 during its
(successful) installation.  However, with the first boot after
installation, it forces me to change the 205 to 206 in the associated
BASEDEV statement in config.sys before it will let me dir the drive.  As
you will note below, the adapter is not the problem --- it's the drive.

Excerpts of the kernel messages at boot time follow:

kernel: Kernel logging (proc) started.
kernel: FDC 0 is a 8272A
kernel: resetting CM250 CD-ROM adapter: successfull
kernel: resetting CD-ROM drive: LMSCD: resetting drive; cd_read_retry = 0
kernel: pending interrupts now: 1
kernel: LMSCD: timeout: 2 retries left
kernel: LMSCD: lms_retry_command() called, after 1 of 9 command bytes sent
kernel: LMSCD: command = 3a 9c 9c 9c 9c 9c 9c 9c 9c
kernel: pending interrupts now: 1
kernel: LMSCD: timeout: 1 retries left
kernel: LMSCD: lms_retry_command() called, after 0 of 9 command bytes sent
kernel: LMSCD: command = 3a 9c 9c 9c 9c 9c 9c 9c 9c
kernel: pending interrupts now: 1
kernel: LMSCD: timeout: 0 retries left
kernel: LMSCD: resetting/identifying drive failed!
kernel: LMSCD: cd_identify = 1
kernel: failed

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

Mark S. Petrovic

Philips/LMS CM205 unrecognized by lmscd0.4.diff-patched 1.2.6 kernel

Post by David van Leeuw » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm attempting to include support for a Media Vision Fusion CD 16 sound
>system in the Linux 1.2.6 kernel.  The Media Vision product consists of
>a Pro Audio Spectrum 16(P) sound card, which features an LMS250 adapter,
>coupled with an LMS CM205 CD drive.  I've obtained and applied the
>appropriate kernel patch lmscd0.4.diff.  I supplied the LMS 'make
>config' questions with appropriate IRQ and I/O values.  Booting the new
>kernel still meets with failure where the LMS support is concerned.
>Question 3:  As an aside, OS/2 Warp sees the drive as a CM205 during its
>(successful) installation.  However, with the first boot after
>installation, it forces me to change the 205 to 206 in the associated
>BASEDEV statement in config.sys before it will let me dir the drive.  As
>you will note below, the adapter is not the problem --- it's the drive.
>kernel: resetting CM250 CD-ROM adapter: successfull
>kernel: LMSCD: cd_identify = 1
>kernel: failed
>Anyone have an idea?

Are you sure you have a cm205 and not a cm205ms?
The cm205ms is a multi-session version---it has a completely different
command set. That is more like the cm206. I have written a driver for
the cm206, and as soon as i have received the specs of the cm250,
i'll try to add cm250/cm205ms support.

be patient

---david