Upgrading kernel 2.2.9 to 2.2.10

Post by godfather6 » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi everybody!!!

I download the new kernel 2.2.10 in tar.gz formart. Everything run
perfect, make xconfig, make dep, make clean, make install. There is no
problem with that, but I don't know how to make changes on LILO. I have
LILO install on my other hard disk. I have two hard disk one for linux
and one for win95. The LILO work perfect, but I don't know how do the
changes on LILO. I try once to change the /etc/lilo.conf but I have two
hard disk and really I don't know how to do that. ;-(
Can anyone help me on that?
Thanks!!

godfather69

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Stan » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi everybody!!!

> I download the new kernel 2.2.10 in tar.gz formart. Everything run
> perfect, make xconfig, make dep, make clean, make install. There is no
> problem with that, but I don't know how to make changes on LILO. I have
> LILO install on my other hard disk. I have two hard disk one for linux
> and one for win95. The LILO work perfect, but I don't know how do the
> changes on LILO. I try once to change the /etc/lilo.conf but I have two
> hard disk and really I don't know how to do that. ;-(
> Can anyone help me on that?
> Thanks!!

> godfather69

After making your new kernel image, you need to copy it to the place where LILO
loads it from on bootup.  (i.e. /boot/vmlinuz)  It is a good idea to keep a
copy of your current kernel that is working just in case.  cp it in the same
directory but put something like .old on it. I use cp vmlinuz vmlinuz.2.2.*
where * is whatever version of the kernel I am upgrading from.  You will need
to use a text editor to add another option to LILO.  Copy the lines as they
appear for the Linux section (your current ones that work)  and substitute the
name of the old kernel image copy you just made for the image = line and for
the label = line label it oldlinux or linux.old or linux.backup whatever you
choose.  This will be what you would need to enter at the Lilo prompt should it
become necessary to use it.  Also, don't forget to copy your System.map file
into the right place.  (Keep a copy of the current one also.)  Make sure you
have a working bootable floppy or cd.  This way, should things not work for
you, you can cp the older files (that work) back onto newer ones that don't.
Once everything is done, you simply run lilo from the command line.  It should
give you messages like added windows, added linux, and added (whatever you put
in the label = line on your backup)  At that point you should be ready to boot
with the new kernel.

I don't know which distribution you are using, but here is a quick summary of
the steps I use to compile a new kernel for my system.

make xconfig
make dep clean zImage
make modules
make modules_install

I then cp the new files and reconfigure lilo as above, then

make clean

so I don't waste any disk space, then I reboot.

Once I have verified that everything is working they way it should, I make a
new bootable floppy with the new kernel.  Hope you can find the answer you need
in all of this.
--
Stan

This message was sent to you from a machine powered by Linux...
(...for those who need to do more than peek through windows)

Suse 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.10

Post by Christoph » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi everybody!!!

> I download the new kernel 2.2.10 in tar.gz formart. Everything run
> perfect, make xconfig, make dep, make clean, make install. There is no
> problem with that, but I don't know how to make changes on LILO. I have
> LILO install on my other hard disk. I have two hard disk one for linux
> and one for win95. The LILO work perfect, but I don't know how do the
> changes on LILO. I try once to change the /etc/lilo.conf but I have two
> hard disk and really I don't know how to do that. ;-(
> Can anyone help me on that?
> Thanks!!

> godfather69

You have to change the file /etc/lilo.conf and after to run "lilo" to
update your MBR.

Have fun.

  christophe.robard1.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Austin Shackle » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi everybody!!!

> > I download the new kernel 2.2.10 in tar.gz formart. Everything run

sheesh, I've still got 2.0.36...and a mate has 2.0.27...

how stable is the 2.2 stuff?

--
Austin Shackles : DoD #0467 : bike - BMW R60/6 (with home-brew monoshock rear)
cage - Citroen BX19TXD : big cage - 8-seater LDV minibus which is Cothi Taxis

Post by Stan » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > > Hi everybody!!!

> > > I download the new kernel 2.2.10 in tar.gz formart. Everything run

> sheesh, I've still got 2.0.36...and a mate has 2.0.27...

> how stable is the 2.2 stuff?

> --
> Austin Shackles : DoD #0467 : bike - BMW R60/6 (with home-brew monoshock rear)
> cage - Citroen BX19TXD : big cage - 8-seater LDV minibus which is Cothi Taxis
> web: http://www/telinco.co.uk/anshackles/austin.htm my opinions are just that.

Stable ???  We're talking Linux of course it's stable.