14.4K modem connects at 19.2K (& fails) ???

14.4K modem connects at 19.2K (& fails) ???

Post by kevin has » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

I recently got a modem working on my linux system (in Ringback mode),
but I am experiencing a problem that I think is a modem problem, and
NOT a problem with Linux.

I have a USR Sportster 28.8K modem on my linux system, and have a
14.4K SupraFax Modem at home.  I can connect to the linux box, but
usually after 2 - 5 tries.  What is confusing, is my 14.4K modem
displays the "CONNECT 19200" message when it "connects", but that shouldn't
be happening with a 14.4K modem!!!???  When it does connect in that way,
it will not work - I must hang up, and try again.  When I finally do get
a TRUE connection - it is at 12K, and all works correctly.

I have tried to set the "S" registers to exclude all rates except 12K,
but it still "connects" at 19200, and then fails.

Has anyone else seen such a problem?  Has anyone figured out how to
correct it?

Your answers & help would be appreciated!  Answer here, or by direct
email.

Thanks!

Kevin Hass

1. Need help w/ DIP and connecting at modem speeds over 14.4K

I am trying to use DIP and a 28.8k modem to complete a SLIP connection
at 28.8k.  I can get a connection at 14.4k (I force the modem to
connect at 14.4k). When I try to connect at 28.8k or let the modem
connect at the highest speed available, it doesn't work.  The modem
just makes a lot of varying tones, but will not connect.  The modems
and lines on each side are ok.  Any ideas?  BTW, I do have a 16550
chip on the serial port.  Would using setserial help?  Your help
is welcome.  Thanks for your help in advance.  Could you reply

Ted Milkovich

2. Kyro 2 question

3. Need help using DIP and connecting at higher than 14.4K

4. VisionFS (not) Printing Issue

5. 2.4 -> 14.4k modem migration problems

6. WIDE DHCP 1.3 Beta not work on FreeBSD 2.1

7. external USR Sporster 14.4k fax/modem

8. HP Deskjet 540 & apsfilter

9. 14.4k Modem under DOSEMU

10. Using 14.4k modems via minicom

11. efax+US.Robutistic Sporter 14.4K data/fax modem

12. PPP with 14.4K modem

13. hoooking up a 14.4k modem