Nice level on proftpd

Post by Skylar Thompso » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 03:24:46

I am having trouble setting the nice level on my ProFTP v1.2.4 daemon
running off of xinetd v2.1.8.9pre14-6. I have it set it to a nice level
of 10, but it always runs at 0. Here is how I have it set up in
xinetd.d/proftpd:

service ftp
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        group                   = ftp
        server                  = /usr/local/sbin/proftpd
        log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        nice                    = 10
        disable                 = no

Quote:}

Any ideas?

--

1. Nice. Nice nice nice.

So I'd heard about this Linux thing - let's face it, you can't spend
any more than a year online and NOT hear about it unless you're under
some cybernetic rock - and always felt I ought to give it a try at
some point. Picked up the friendly yellow 'For Dummies' book which
came with three CDs of RH7.0. Lots of nice hand-holding throughout the
install process (which got me safely through a major glitch when the X
installer, starting up reasonably enough in a no-risk 640x480, got the
screen geometry totally wrong and was illegible, and pointed me in the
right direction for LOADLIN when lilo couldn't cope with Linux being
at the back end of a big drive) and I soon got into the OS. Got it
online, no worries. Well, this is nice, I said to myself, but
eventually I largely forgot about the system lurking at the other end
of my drive and returned through force of habit to Windows95.

But not willing to just plain give up (there's a principle involved,
dammit!) I sent off for the RH7.2 CDs when it came out. Fifteen quid.
Well, bugger me sideways... this new KDE is seriously slick, it just
*feels* faster, smoother, the lot. I'd imagine a lot of the discussion
of new distributions on here centres on technical aspects of kernels
and so forth, but speaking as a Windows refugee fleeing the imminent
prospect of XP's Big Brother pirate protection, it's looking like
Linux can become a happy home.

So much so, in fact, that I'm planning on getting myself a new
computer in a year or so, and having whatever the latest RH Linux is
as the main OS. Bill's not seeing another penny if I can help it...
(he says, posting with a Hotmail address in a slightly embarrassed
tone)

Odds are a fair number of people reading had some input into this nice
new OS I'm using now, so I just have to say, thanks guys.

2. Linux training

3. set the nice level for a user

4. Looking for the latest compatibility list

5. 2.4.x nice level

6. web-based file uploads

7. Question about "nice" levels.

8. Scanjet 6100C driver info

9. nice level

10. Uneven CPU scheduling with different nice levels

11. Q: CGI scripts get nice level 2, why?

12. setting up nice levels...

13. nice level