Newbie problem with XFConfig - Slackware

Newbie problem with XFConfig - Slackware

Post by Mark Rittma » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Help! Can anybody fathom this one out?.....

I have just installed Slackware Linux, choosing the A, AP, X and XAP disks
to my C drive on a 1Gb Win 95 system. The XFree86 version is 11 rel. 6

My problem is that, after everything is installed, and the new boot disk is
used, typing XFConfig86, or trying to access any of the sample files,
doesn't work - the files/directories are reported as not being there. Using
CD/LS proves that they aren't there.

I tried then to install them myself using the setup utility but Linux wants
the CD remounted and I don't know how to do this. I have the Linux
installation book part 1 and have read through the instructions. The
Slackware / Xwindows package is on a CD included with a book from Sybex.

Other programs seem to be installed. Whilst X/XAP was installing, the setup
program sometimes mentioned not being able to find '.lib' files, but the
screen cleared to quickly to note them down. Sorry!

Can anyone offer any advice on how to proceed? It's a bit frustrating
falling at the first hurdle...

Many thanks,

Mark

Brighton, England

Newbie problem with XFConfig - Slackware

Post by Ricardo Salced » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

The X-files (eerie music) are not in the root directory.  Look in:
/var/X11R6/lib/  That's where XF86Config is kept on my Slackware setup.
I just edited it directly, but the config program should be somewhere
around the same area.

Hope you find it,
Ricardo

--
Don't worry.                    {~~~~~}
 Relax,                         |~T~T~|=|7

                                (_\_/_)

1. Newbie Can't Boot Linux Anymore b/c Change XFConfig-4

Hi,

  I have done something really stupid by changing a setting in
/etc/X11/XFconfig-4 (as root) and now everytime i try to boot linux (RH 7.1)
I get thrown into text mode and a Read Only file system.  I try
to open the file in emacs to undo my stupid change but I keep getting

Couldn't find a usable temp directory set 'py-temp-directory'

I don't know what this means, i have tried 'set py-temp-directory /tmp'
but that doesn't work.  I don't know what to do, but if i could
somehow edit and save the file i think i would be ok. Does anyone
know how to work around this problem?

Thanks.

2. make question

3. Slackware 96 newbie to newbie

4. Disabling password shadowing

5. PCI S3 864 XFConfig startup Problems

6. Problem of NIS+ server set up under 2.3

7. X Windows xfconfig problem

8. Apache web server update

9. XFconfig problem - DEC P90 (S3V864)

10. XFConfig problem..