HELP: wrote Lilo to Win NT MBR, can't find my NT now ...

HELP: wrote Lilo to Win NT MBR, can't find my NT now ...

Post by Kelly k » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:08:31

Hi, all,

I am new to linux. I tried to change my Windows NT machine into a dual
boot system. At the beginning, according to Red Hat 7.2 intallation
guide, I installed LILO at the first boot partition, but I couldn't
use hard disk to boot linux, every time it was NT started up. So I
reinstalled and wrote LILO to MBR, and found I caused a disaster. Now
there is no means I can find my NT! And, every time after reboot, it
says "LIL-", and no key could be typed in afterwards. So I only could
use "Ctrl-Del-Alt" to restart linux using floppy. I don't have a NT
startup floppy =(

Can you please tell me how to solve the problem? Especially, how to
get my NT back? Thanks a lot ...

Kelly

Post by dav.. » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:34:09

> reinstalled and wrote LILO to MBR, and found I caused a disaster. Now
> there is no means I can find my NT! And, every time after reboot, it
> says "LIL-",

That means a bad LILO configuration, you have probabily to add
"linear" or "lba" to your /etc/lilo.conf.

Quote:> Especially, how to get my NT back? Thanks a lot ...

Start linux with your floppy, login as root and use lilo -u to remove
lilo from the MBR, you'll have your NT back, or fix the configuration
of lilo and start NT from Lilo.

Davide

Post by mjt » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:42:53

> Can you please tell me how to solve the problem? Especially, how to
> get my NT back? Thanks a lot ...

... use the nt boot disk to boot nt/recover. some thing with Linux;
you use CD1 to "boot installed system". i imagine your problem with
the "LIL" thing is that you've installed the boot partition beyond
1024 cylinder limit (the BIOS may not have support for it or enabled).
or it could be a problem with finding the kernel.

--
-------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  |    Black holes result

HELP: wrote Lilo to Win NT MBR, can't find my NT now ...

Post by johninsd at san dot rr dot co » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:36:38

Quote:>Hi, all,

>I am new to linux. I tried to change my Windows NT machine into a dual
>boot system. At the beginning, according to Red Hat 7.2 intallation
>guide, I installed LILO at the first boot partition, but I couldn't
>use hard disk to boot linux, every time it was NT started up. So I
>reinstalled and wrote LILO to MBR, and found I caused a disaster. Now
>there is no means I can find my NT! And, every time after reboot, it
>says "LIL-", and no key could be typed in afterwards. So I only could
>use "Ctrl-Del-Alt" to restart linux using floppy. I don't have a NT
>startup floppy =(

>Can you please tell me how to solve the problem? Especially, how to
>get my NT back? Thanks a lot ...

When you ran LILO installing to the MBR, a backup file of the overwritten boot
record was created.  If you wrote to /dev/hda, then the file is in
/boot/boot.0300.

LILO has a couple of options used to restore the saved boot record.  Look up
the "-u" & associated switches (man lilo).

LIL- indicates a very old version of LILO.  I think the - means a problem with
the descriptor table (list of boot options, saved in the /boot/map file).  Try
adding "lba32" to your lilo.conf file, or run "lilo -L"; DON'T use "linear",
it will just propagate the problem.  "lba32" will only be of help on newer
systems which support the "Logical Block Addressing" mode of disk access.
Make sure this is turned on in you BIOS.

LILO should be able to dual boot both Linux and WinNT.  Boot linux with
"image=" and NT with "other=/dev/hda1", or whichever primary partition
contains NT.

--John

Post by jatt » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:13:04

> >Hi, all,

> >I am new to linux. I tried to change my Windows NT machine into a dual
> >boot system. At the beginning, according to Red Hat 7.2 intallation
> >guide, I installed LILO at the first boot partition, but I couldn't
> >use hard disk to boot linux, every time it was NT started up. So I
> >reinstalled and wrote LILO to MBR, and found I caused a disaster. Now
> >there is no means I can find my NT! And, every time after reboot, it
> >says "LIL-", and no key could be typed in afterwards. So I only could
> >use "Ctrl-Del-Alt" to restart linux using floppy. I don't have a NT
> >startup floppy =(

> >Can you please tell me how to solve the problem? Especially, how to
> >get my NT back? Thanks a lot ...

> When you ran LILO installing to the MBR, a backup file of the overwritten boot
> record was created.  If you wrote to /dev/hda, then the file is in
> /boot/boot.0300.

> LILO has a couple of options used to restore the saved boot record.  Look up
> the "-u" & associated switches (man lilo).

> LIL- indicates a very old version of LILO.  I think the - means a problem with
> the descriptor table (list of boot options, saved in the /boot/map file).  Try
> adding "lba32" to your lilo.conf file, or run "lilo -L"; DON'T use "linear",
> it will just propagate the problem.  "lba32" will only be of help on newer
> systems which support the "Logical Block Addressing" mode of disk access.
> Make sure this is turned on in you BIOS.

> LILO should be able to dual boot both Linux and WinNT.  Boot linux with
> "image=" and NT with "other=/dev/hda1", or whichever primary partition
> contains NT.

> --John

Hi
    As I think so that u did not wrote LILO on MBR If ur LILO is on
MBR that this Type of Error is Impossible. I think so wrote LILO on
First sector of HDD. Check it it's on MBR or First Sector
                      If u are using NT then u must write LILO on MBR
if other O.S. then u can write on first sector then do active ur LILO
partition..
Greetings
Jatt Ji

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. pop quiz

3. HELP!: cannot install Win NT (had NT+Linux+LILO)

4. Solaris 10 07/2004 ISO/ZIP signatures

5. Use 'fdisk /mbr' under NT 3.51 to remove lilo & linux?

6. Uninterruptible Power Supplies

7. NT can't boot when LILO sits in the MBR - why?

8. linux swap problem

9. {q} prob uninstalling LILO /MBR did'nt fix

10. Lilo won't write to mbr!

11. Iinux from NT's boot.ini and NT from LILO

12. NT MBR was over-wrote by Linux -HELP