Good Linux Modem ?

Post by RP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Okay,  I have given up any hope of having a winmodem working under Linux
(there goes my current one!)

Any particular preference out there among the gurus?

Thanks
Russ.

Good Linux Modem ?

Post by Dan de Haa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I use the Aopen FM56-itu/2.  It's cheap and works great (I got if for
$45CND)

> Okay,  I have given up any hope of having a winmodem working under Linux
> (there goes my current one!)

> Any particular preference out there among the gurus?

> Thanks
> Russ.

Good Linux Modem ?

Post by john p whit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

www.computersurplusoutlet.com

has a motorola modemsurfr 28.8 modem on sale for $21(shipping included)
it works fine in linux, but not at all in windoze(dont know why)

jp

i bought one and its all good in linux land

> I use the Aopen FM56-itu/2.  It's cheap and works great (I got if for
> $45CND)

> > Okay,  I have given up any hope of having a winmodem working under Linux
> > (there goes my current one!)

> > Any particular preference out there among the gurus?

> > Thanks
> > Russ.

Good Linux Modem ?

Post by RP » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have the US Robotics Voice Internal 56K PCI.  Not sure about the about
model number - but it definately says it is a winmodem.

Have tried to get it working but been unable to ......everyone so far has
said it is a winmodem and will not work.

Russ.

Good Linux Modem ?

Post by Iceho » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Are you sure it is a winmodem? I have an internal PCI 56k modem
and it took me 2 weeks to set it up... But I DID set it up! What modem
do you have? I've got the 3Com 5610 (which is actually different
then what it says on the card itself, why is that?)

--
Max "Tsunami" Ivtchenko
Icehot & Dark_Angel5

Quote:> Okay,  I have given up any hope of having a winmodem working under Linux
> (there goes my current one!)

> Any particular preference out there among the gurus?

> Thanks
> Russ.

Good Linux Modem ?

Post by newsreader » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What took you two weeks?  Mind sharing the experience?

In article

>Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:34:35 -0700
>Are you sure it is a winmodem? I have an internal PCI 56k modem
>and it took me 2 weeks to set it up... But I DID set it up! What modem
>do you have? I've got the 3Com 5610 (which is actually different
>then what it says on the card itself, why is that?)
>--
>Max "Tsunami" Ivtchenko
>Icehot & Dark_Angel5
>http://cockpits.sim-arena.com

>> Okay,  I have given up any hope of having a winmodem working under Linux
>> (there goes my current one!)

>> Any particular preference out there among the gurus?

>> Thanks
>> Russ.

Good Linux Modem ?

Post by Rick Morri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hey I kow what took him two months ;)  And I know why he wont share it...  Its
a painfull experience for him..   Major trauma.. Winmodems have a * habit
of forcing linux users to commit suicide...

Post by John » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Okay,  I have given up any hope of having a winmodem working under Linux
> (there goes my current one!)

> Any particular preference out there among the gurus?

> Thanks
> Russ.

I bought a Jaton Communicator internal 56K modem.  It works great under
Linux.  It can work in pnp mode or you can use the jumpers (for Linux).
This is a real hardware modem.

I paid $44 at:
http://www.goodpc.com

John