how can I connect my isp via ppp

Post by suba » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

hi there,
        I would like to have my linux box connected to my ISP through a modem via
PPP, I read a lot of HOW-TO and DOC and try in many deferent ways, but no
luck, my linux version is RH 5.0, I use a
PnP USR sportster 33.6 fax modem, once I try to dial it  to ISP by manually
under minicom, It seems  did connect and showed a line: connect
33600/ARQ    and follow another line of garbage of text, no any login
prompt, I couldn't do anything except leaving minicom(no setting modem),
then I typed the command :
pppd -d -detach /dev/cua0 &  , after a while I type: ifconfig. it showed no
any PPP  connection is started
could any one provide  advice?  I'll greatly appreciate is any one could
help since I've spent all most two month time in this problem.

thanks.

how can I connect my isp via ppp

Post by Iain Potte » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I have basically the same problem.  I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to
Linux.  I'm using Redhat 5.0 also, but I'm using a USR 56k sporster
messageplus.  I have been told to use the command "dmesg | less" and then
look for lines beginning "PPP" or "TCP".  I have tried this, and none exist,
so I was told to recompile the kernel with PPP support.  I haven't a clue
how to do this!!!

Can anyone help me out?  I think it may also help suban...

TIA!
Iain

>hi there,
> I would like to have my linux box connected to my ISP through a modem via
>PPP, I read a lot of HOW-TO and DOC and try in many deferent ways, but no
>luck, my linux version is RH 5.0, I use a
>PnP USR sportster 33.6 fax modem, once I try to dial it  to ISP by manually
>under minicom, It seems  did connect and showed a line: connect
>33600/ARQ    and follow another line of garbage of text, no any login
>prompt, I couldn't do anything except leaving minicom(no setting modem),
>then I typed the command :
>pppd -d -detach /dev/cua0 &  , after a while I type: ifconfig. it showed no
>any PPP  connection is started
>could any one provide  advice?  I'll greatly appreciate is any one could
>help since I've spent all most two month time in this problem.

>thanks.

1. PPP Help Needed For Connecting with ISP Via Dedicated Addr.

Much deleted.

Try putting your 'pppd' in the background by appending an ampersand to the
command line.

vern
--
Vernon C. Hoxie                                           scicom!zebra!vern

Denver, Colo., 80212        uucp: 303-455-2670          voice: 303-477-1780

2. How can I say that two IPs belong to the same router?

3. Connecting via PPP witn a PnP modem to an ISP using PAP

4. Help with select()

5. How to connect to ISP via PPP?

6. Apache 1.3.2 proxy performance

7. can't connect to ISP via PPP

8. exec "ls" and catch the answer in a variable

9. How can I connect ISP via PPP ?

10. Connecting to ISP via PPP - I'm almost there

11. connecting to ISP via PPP

12. how can I connect ISP via PPP?

13. Connect via LAN vs. Connect via modem headache