HHD Help 2

Post by Jerem » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

oops...forgot to Ask my question in my last post regaurding how to fix a
broken partition.  Everytime I boot it will try to fsck and dump me to a
shell.  Does anyone know how to fix a broken partition?  can I run some sort
of "partition fix" on it or something.  Any help will bve put to good use.
thanks.

jeremy

HHD Help 2

Post by Richard S. Lumpki » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> oops...forgot to Ask my question in my last post regaurding how to fix a
> broken partition.  Everytime I boot it will try to fsck and dump me to a
> shell.  Does anyone know how to fix a broken partition?  can I run some sort
> of "partition fix" on it or something.  Any help will bve put to good use.
> thanks.

> jeremy

in the shell

fsck /dev/hd?x

where ? is the drive letter, x is the partition number, monitor it
because and ugly crash like my power outage will require you to answer
questions (y is recommended unless your a big time disk hacker).

Richard S. Lumpkin, Ph.D.                            Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry                                     256-890-6365
University of Alabama in Huntsville                     fax 256-890-6349
Huntsville, AL 35899                          http://chromophore.uah.edu

HHD Help 2

Post by felicity+s.. » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> shell.  Does anyone know how to fix a broken partition?  can I run some sort
> of "partition fix" on it or something.  Any help will bve put to good use.

do "fsck <device>" ... if it can't fix it, reinstall.

--
To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address.

HHD Help 2

Post by Perry Gri » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> oops...forgot to Ask my question in my last post regaurding how
> to fix a broken partition.  Everytime I boot it will try to fsck
> and dump me to a shell.  Does anyone know how to fix a broken
> partition?  can I run some sort of "partition fix" on it or some-
> thing.  Any help will bve put to good use.
> thanks.

> jeremy

How are you shutting down linux?  The big red power switch
is not the correct way.

man shutdown
shutdown -h now

Take care,