Setting up XDM and swtiching between run levels

Setting up XDM and swtiching between run levels

Post by Scen » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi.  I've been using Linux for a while and have been starting x with startx
each time.  Recently, I went to set up XDM for the login and got it to work
actually quite well.  However, there are a couple of things I either can't
figure out or haven't had the time to look into thoroughly, so I was wondering
if any of you can help.  First, a quick hardware rundown, though I think this
probably isn't too relevant.

Dell P100t, 16 MB EDO RAM, 1 gig drive, 300 Megs dedicated to Linux, 700 to
Win95, 4x ATAPI CD-ROM drive, PCI S3 video card.

Here are my setup questions:

1) How do I switch between run levels while already at the XDM login screen?
Is it possible?

2) What is the best way to issue the shutdown command in XDM?  I tend to
restart, not just shut it off, but I don't know what is the safest for the file
system.  Currently, I'm logging back in as root at the end and issuing shutdown
-r now in an XTerm.

3) Where do I find the default user path for an XDM run level login?  I want to
edit the basic system path that all users get.

4) This is sort of frivolous, but how do I change the appearance of the XDM
login... I think I know where to look, but I haven't had time to look into
this.

Thanks.  Oh, if you could reply by email, that would be best.

Sujal

--

http://dan.hcf.jhu.edu/sujal/
Student and WWW programmer/developer

Post by Scen » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi.  I've been using Linux for a while and have been starting x with startx
each time.  Recently, I went to set up XDM for the login and got it to work
actually quite well.  However, there are a couple of things I either can't
figure out or haven't had the time to look into thoroughly, so I was wondering
if any of you can help.  First, a quick hardware rundown, though I think this
probably isn't too relevant.

Dell P100t, 16 MB EDO RAM, 1 gig drive, 300 Megs dedicated to Linux, 700 to
Win95, 4x ATAPI CD-ROM drive, PCI S3 video card.  Using Slackware 3.0

[...]

1. run level 5 & xdm

 >> Jeff Hedlund writes:

 > When using the graphical login, how do you set it up to allow the
 > user's .xinitrc to choose the window manager instead of the default
 > fvwm95 (Redhat's default)??

xdm uses the .xsession file in the user's home directory instead of
.xinitrc.  Just stick whatever you want run in there instead.

Reid

2. Goes out but it don't come out (ethernet pinging)

3. locked up my system (xdm and inittab run level 4)

4. HP RAID controller D4992A, Driver?

5. X-Win xdm fails-how do I get back to run-level 5?

6. Newbie question: can't run stuff?

7. reentrant code??

8. XDM and run-levels

9. How can you keep scologin running when swtiching to tty01?

10. X not running from level 3 but does from level 5

11. Linux boot into text mode even when set to run in level 5

12. How to set up always with run level 3.