Mandrake 6.1 and HP DeskJet 720C

Post by John Taylo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

My old printer has just died, so I had a look through some
catalogues, and chose a cheap printer that was listed in the
printool, safe in the knowledge that it would be supported.

I get home, plug in my Deskjet 720C, setup the print driver
print a test page and nothing happens !

Subsequent investigation on the ghostcript webpages shows that
the 720C isn't a PCL printer, and so will not work.

Then looking on the Mandrake site the 720C isn't listed either.

Whats going on ?
Why is it listed in printtool if it doesn't work ?

Is there some trick to getting the 720C working, or do I have to try
and persuade the shop to take it back ?

Thanks for any advice

JohnT

Mandrake 6.1 and HP DeskJet 720C

Post by Brian Agne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi John,

This is what you need. It's a bit of a pain but it works (I seem to
remember that it's B&W only though  -or at least the last time I looked
at it).

 http://www.httptech.com/ppa/index.html

Brian

> Hi

> My old printer has just died, so I had a look through some
> catalogues, and chose a cheap printer that was listed in the
> printool, safe in the knowledge that it would be supported.

> I get home, plug in my Deskjet 720C, setup the print driver
> print a test page and nothing happens !

> Subsequent investigation on the ghostcript webpages shows that
> the 720C isn't a PCL printer, and so will not work.

> Then looking on the Mandrake site the 720C isn't listed either.

> Whats going on ?
> Why is it listed in printtool if it doesn't work ?

> Is there some trick to getting the 720C working, or do I have to try
> and persuade the shop to take it back ?

> Thanks for any advice

> JohnT

1. Trying to get my HP 720C working on RH 6.1

Okay, I'd like to get an HP 720C printer working on a
RH 6.1 box with a 2.2.16 patched kernel. The patch
was for very large drives (>33.6G).

Anyway, I know
the printer is a "winprinter". I'm not even getting
that far, however. I can't even get the darn parallel
port support working. You see, I don't have the
original patched kernel source from when I built it,
and parport stuff wasn't compiled in or built as
a module...I *do* have the 2.2.12 module lying around
from Redhat, but I had no luck forcing that one in.

Anyway, I downloaded the 2.2.16 kernel tarball, and
tried to do make xconfig, select parallel port
support (as module), save, then do a make dep,
make, and make modules.

The module for it looks like it built, but when
I try anything other than parport_share.o, I
get unresolved symbols errors. If I do parport_share.o,
I get Unable to determine kernel version the module
was compiled for. What gives here? I selected the
option during make xconfig to set all version information
in symbols for modules...all I really want to do
here is add support for parallel port printer to my
silly RH 6.1 box.

TIA,
--
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stop corporate welfare. Repeal the H1-B program now:
http://www.zazona.com/ShameH1B/

2. HELP: Linux crashes my pentium!!!

3. HP 720C and Redhat 6.1

4. EDIE card woes

5. HP DeskJet 720C

6. problem with ethernet config! I need help!

7. Printing To An HP Deskjet 720c Under Linux

8. Getting DEBIAN 1.3.1 detecting my scsi adapter

9. Problems while installing HP-Deskjet 720C

10. HP DeskJet 720c Network Printer configuration

11. HELP: HP Deskjet 720C and apsfilter

12. HP Deskjet 720C; Soundblaster Live Setup

13. HP Deskjet 720C