Linux PPP incoming/outgoing problems

Post by Kevin Harringto » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I am somewhat a new user of Linux, and I have set it up on my system.  I
have a modem connected that works and I can dial up.  What I need to
know is how do I put an IP address on the modem so I can use pppd to
make a ppp connection on dialup.  Right now when I dial in with Win95
using the post-dial terminal, I enter my username, password, then pppd.
The system hangs for a second then Windows says it can't negotiate a
compatible set of protocols, which I think probably means that I don't
have an IP address on the modem.

Also how can I find out how to dial out with my system to my ISP and
make a ppp connnection.  Using ppp-on I can make it dial and
authenticate, but I can't do anything from there.  There doesn't seem to
be any kind of connection....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
Kevin H.

Post by Mari Donker » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I am somewhat a new user of Linux, and I have set it up on my system.  I
>have a modem connected that works and I can dial up.  What I need to
>know is how do I put an IP address on the modem so I can use pppd to
>make a ppp connection on dialup.  Right now when I dial in with Win95
>using the post-dial terminal, I enter my username, password, then pppd.
>The system hangs for a second then Windows says it can't negotiate a
>compatible set of protocols, which I think probably means that I don't
>have an IP address on the modem.

/etc/resolv.conf must contain the IP address of the name server of your ISP

Quote:>Also how can I find out how to dial out with my system to my ISP and
>make a ppp connnection.  Using ppp-on I can make it dial and
>authenticate, but I can't do anything from there.  There doesn't seem to
>be any kind of connection....

look in /etc/ppp

Quote:>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
>Kevin H.

Also check out the documentation files on your LINUX CD-ROMs. There
is a HOWTO file on PPP which explains the PPP dialup and connect stuff.

Post by Richard Knechte » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I am somewhat a new user of Linux, and I have set it up on my system.  I
> have a modem connected that works and I can dial up.  What I need to
> know is how do I put an IP address on the modem so I can use pppd to
> make a ppp connection on dialup.  Right now when I dial in with Win95
> using the post-dial terminal, I enter my username, password, then pppd.
> The system hangs for a second then Windows says it can't negotiate a
> compatible set of protocols, which I think probably means that I don't
> have an IP address on the modem.

> Also how can I find out how to dial out with my system to my ISP and
> make a ppp connnection.  Using ppp-on I can make it dial and
> authenticate, but I can't do anything from there.  There doesn't seem to
> be any kind of connection....

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
> Kevin H.

What I did was get EZPPP. it took me 10 minutes to set up and I was up
and running and connected to my ISP! much easier than screwing around
with chat scripts etc.. I even have it start Netscape as soon as it is
logged in!

check out:
The EZPPP Project at:
http://www.serv.net/~cameron/ezppp/index.html

You won't be sorry!

--

Richard Knechtel
EDS

       The contents of this message express only MY opinion.
       my employer, EDS.  All responsibility for the statements
       made in this posting resides solely and completely with the
       ME.
       I Ex-Spaminate spammers!
       See US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C)
       and Sec.227(b)(3)(C).

1. PPP load balancing works for incoming but not outgoing???

Hello,

I have PPP eql load balancing setup and running using the drivers built into
kernel 2.0.25.  For incoming traffic (ie downloading) I get nearly full
bandwidth of both modems.  For outgoing transfers, I get data going out of
only one modem (based on transfer speed and watching the modem lights).
Interestingly, returning data seems to come in on the 'other' modem (the one
that is not sending outgoing data).

I have this box setup for IP_forwarding and it is used as a router for a
small network.  I have noticed that this "two channels in, one channel out"
behaviour is the same when the data originates from the linux server itself or
one of it's client workstations.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has seen this same behaviour
OR anyone who can use multiple channels in both directions.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Randy Moore

2. SonyCDU33a won't work with REDHAT4.0

3. Incoming fax and outgoing PPP ???

4. Boot always ask to change settings (kdmconfig)

5. osave of outgoing and incoming data by ppp

6. should xargs exit on non-zero program exit status?

7. PPP: Does outgoing traffic slow incoming traffic?

8. Is there a Network Trafic Analysis program out there?

9. How to rewrite only the port on incoming/outgoing packets

10. Incoming and outgoing bandwidth limiting

11. Incoming and outgoing Packets under Solaris2.6

12. Q: SuSE 6.3: sendmail: outgoing OK & incoming fails

13. Difference between incoming and outgoing transferrates