/dev/audio & /dev/dsp problem

Post by Tohru Ya » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello.

Yesterday I tried to play .au and .wav files. However I had errors
like this,

# cat foo.au > /dev/audio
bash: /dev/audio: Device or resource busy
# cat foo.wav > /dev/dsp
bash: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

Then I just took a look at device files, /dev/dsp and /dev/audio:

# ls -al /dev/dsp
crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 14, 3 Apr 3 14:41 /dev/dsp
# ls -al /dev/audio
crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 14, 4 Apr 3 14:41 /dev/audio

I think there is no problem in particular. Of course, I'm NOT using
other apps which need these device files.

# fuser -v /dev/audio
# fuser -v /dev/dsp

There were no messages at all. Does anybody know why I can't play
audio files?

Thank you.

Tohru Yagi
Osaka University, JAPAN

1. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

After I compiled all the necessary components
for sound support for my sound card, I have happy
to say linux detects my sound card...but there is
one problem I am as of yet unable to use the card..
since the necessary devices in /dev were never made...

In newere kernel releases the file
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux which contained a
script at the end of file which created the dev files
is no longer present.  Could someone tell me where this
file is now located?  Or where I can find a script to
create the dev files?

thanks.

2. HP-UX 10.20 & Solaris X Windows

3. problem linking support for /dev/audio and /dev/dsp

4. "top ten posters" shell script using nntp?

5. 2.2.1 and /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

6. netwinder port?

7. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in kernel 2.2.6?

8. c compiler

9. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

10. Sound config: /dev/audio vs /dev/dsp

11. How to get clear sound from /dev/dsp(/dev/audio)

12. Using /dev/audio and /dev/dsp

13. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in OSS sound engine