ARE HAYES ACCURA 56K/V.90 MODEMS LINUX-COMPATIBLE...?

ARE HAYES ACCURA 56K/V.90 MODEMS LINUX-COMPATIBLE...?

Post by rj flec » Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:00:00

hi...

i'm still a relatively new linux user with some more questions...

of course my dell computer came with a winmodem preinstalled in an isa slot; so
i can't use it with linux and must acquire a new modem...

*********

question 1

i looked up in the linux documentation project 'how-to' pages under the 'SERIAL
HOWTO' section and it looks to me that most 'standard pc serial boards' - which
i would assume include these accura modems - should be linux compatible...  does
anyone know any reason this should not be the case...?

***********

question 2

not only did dell send me a winmodem preinstalled, but it looks that as a result
- since they installed the modem on com2 internally - they have only deigned to
give me one external 9-pin serial port for com1...!

i had initially planned to buy an external modem as the new modem, so i could
use it interchangeably with other machines and see the little flashing lights,
etc...   :-)  but then i realized that that would use up the only external
serial port that i have...  so i decided probably wiser to set it up in the isa
slot again internally...  does anyone have any information as to why this may
not be the best course of action...?

*************

thanks for any helpful information...

best, rj

ARE HAYES ACCURA 56K/V.90 MODEMS LINUX-COMPATIBLE...?

Post by Eugen » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>of course my dell computer came with a winmodem preinstalled in an isa
slot; so
>i can't use it with linux and must acquire a new modem...

this sucks. winmodems are not compatible with anything but winblows

Quote:>i looked up in the linux documentation project 'how-to' pages under the
'SERIAL
>HOWTO' section and it looks to me that most 'standard pc serial boards' -
which
>i would assume include these accura modems - should be linux compatible...
does
>anyone know any reason this should not be the case...?

as far as I know, Linux should work fine with any non-win modem

Quote:>not only did dell send me a winmodem preinstalled, but it looks that as a
result
>- since they installed the modem on com2 internally - they have only
deigned to
>give me one external 9-pin serial port for com1...!

this sucks even more! This convinced me that Dell is crap.

Quote:>i had initially planned to buy an external modem as the new modem, so i
could
>use it interchangeably with other machines and see the little flashing
lights,
>etc...   :-)  but then i realized that that would use up the only external
>serial port that i have...  so i decided probably wiser to set it up in the
isa
>slot again internally...  does anyone have any information as to why this
may
>not be the best course of action...?

Originally PCs were disigned to have only 2 serial ports -- COM1 and COM2.
Then ... < yada-yada-yada it's a long story > Anyway, COM1 and COM3 share
the same IRQ (Interrupt Request) and so do COM2 and COM4. Thus, you cannot
have 2 devices attached to either pair of COM ports working at the same
time. I understand you have a PS/2 mouse, right? (since your COM1 is
free...) Then, if you want a second modem, you can attach it to COM3 or
COM1 -- doesn't matter. Or you can get rid of the winmodem and insert a
normal modem in its place. It's actually a better idea 'cause you have other
computers which could use winmodem.

Post by James Kno » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>i looked up in the linux documentation project 'how-to' pages under the 'SERIAL
>HOWTO' section and it looks to me that most 'standard pc serial boards' - which
>i would assume include these accura modems - should be linux compatible...  does
>anyone know any reason this should not be the case...?

Any non Winmodem should work fine.

Quote:>not only did dell send me a winmodem preinstalled, but it looks that as a result
>- since they installed the modem on com2 internally - they have only deigned to
>give me one external 9-pin serial port for com1...!

>i had initially planned to buy an external modem as the new modem, so i could
>use it interchangeably with other machines and see the little flashing lights,
>etc...   :-)  but then i realized that that would use up the only external
>serial port that i have...  so i decided probably wiser to set it up in the isa
>slot again internally...  does anyone have any information as to why this may
>not be the best course of action...?

You may want to consider a com port board.  These come in various
combinations, and some such as those from Lava support higher
IRQs, so you don't get stuck trying to find a free IRQ.  The Lava
boards are plain com ports, (the board I bought has two) with each
port independently configurable.  Other makes may require special
drivers.

The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of
IBM Canada Ltd.

1. Hayes Accura 56K v.90 Int Modem Problem

I'm using Red Hat 5.1.  I recompiled the kernel 2.0.34 to allow PnP.
Because this Hayes Accura 56K v.90/K56Flex Internal Data/Fax ISA PnP
didn't work.  It worked with Win 95 and Win NT 4.0.

Recompiling the kernel fix the Soundblase 64AWE and made it work.  But
my modem still doesn't work.

During my /var/log/messages I keep getting the "tcgetattr" line in my
log.  I also used Evil Bill's OS to see what IRQ and Port Address.  It
uses com3 in WinDoze or cua2 and ttyS2 in Linux.

What does "tcgetattr" mean, i think its about getting a filehandle and
craping out.

Also how do you move IRQ around.  WinDoze uses IRQ 10.

Jerry

2. Any LEX gurus?

3. Hayes Accura 56K + Fax: V.90 upgrade

4. Solaris 2.4 for x86 install problem

5. Linux and Hayes Accura v.90 modem

6. mounting XFS linux filesystem

7. Is Amquest 56K V.90 PCI modem compatible with Linux?

8. dial up modem

9. Hayes PCI Accura 56K Internal Modem - Support?

10. Hayes Accura 56K external modem recently became poor in downloading data

11. Hayes Accura 56k Internal Modem

12. Hayes Accura 56K modem

13. HAYES ACCURA 56K modem or white elephant ????