HELP Installing Linux Redhat 7.1 on a Cyrix Based System!!!

HELP Installing Linux Redhat 7.1 on a Cyrix Based System!!!

Post by Aaron Schnied » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 01:29:04

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed Redhat 7.1. I have installed and
configured many flavors and versions of Linux before without any
problem, however I am having a very hard time with this system I am
trying to install on. The machine I am using is as follows:

Cyrix MII 366
32 MB RAM
10GB HDD
4MB ATI Video

This system was successfully running Windows 98, however has never had
Linux installed on it before.

I went through the Linux GUI setup and everything looked like it went
well. I configured all the packages to install, let them install, and
then tested Xwindows. I then rebooted the box.

Upon reboot, it shows the Redhat startup and then tries to boot Linux.
It displays some information (too fast to see and I can't pause it)
and then it starts displaying long strings of characters and number
across the screen (i.e. [<e5580000>]. It does this with new strings of
characters and numbers and then just stops.

I have re-installed and still get the same problem... any suggestions
anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Aaron Schnieder

HELP Installing Linux Redhat 7.1 on a Cyrix Based System!!!

Post by Cavit Hafizogl » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:26:18

Isn't there any error message between those numbers? Anyway it might be
hard disk failure ( if the hd light is on for a long time than it's
certainly a hd problem ).

Cavit Hafizoglu

> Hi,

> I just downloaded and installed Redhat 7.1. I have installed and
> configured many flavors and versions of Linux before without any
> problem, however I am having a very hard time with this system I am
> trying to install on. The machine I am using is as follows:

> Cyrix MII 366
> 32 MB RAM
> 10GB HDD
> 4MB ATI Video

> This system was successfully running Windows 98, however has never had
> Linux installed on it before.

> I went through the Linux GUI setup and everything looked like it went
> well. I configured all the packages to install, let them install, and
> then tested Xwindows. I then rebooted the box.

> Upon reboot, it shows the Redhat startup and then tries to boot Linux.
> It displays some information (too fast to see and I can't pause it)
> and then it starts displaying long strings of characters and number
> across the screen (i.e. [<e5580000>]. It does this with new strings of
> characters and numbers and then just stops.

> I have re-installed and still get the same problem... any suggestions
> anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks for your time

> Aaron Schnieder

HELP Installing Linux Redhat 7.1 on a Cyrix Based System!!!

Post by Aaron Schnied » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 23:23:24

There might be an error message that is display as Linux begins to
load, but it scrolls by so quickly on the screen that I can't read it.
I have tried to press the pause button to stop the scrolling of the
text and read what has been output to the screen, but that doesn't
work either.

From all of the acticity that I see happening while the error messages
are being displayed I don't think that this is a hard drive failure.
Also, the hard drive I am using was in another machine for a few
months running Windows and never had a problem.

-Aaron Schnieder

> Isn't there any error message between those numbers? Anyway it might be
> hard disk failure ( if the hd light is on for a long time than it's
> certainly a hd problem ).

> Cavit Hafizoglu

> > Hi,

> > I just downloaded and installed Redhat 7.1. I have installed and
> > configured many flavors and versions of Linux before without any
> > problem, however I am having a very hard time with this system I am
> > trying to install on. The machine I am using is as follows:

> > Cyrix MII 366
> > 32 MB RAM
> > 10GB HDD
> > 4MB ATI Video

> > This system was successfully running Windows 98, however has never had
> > Linux installed on it before.

> > I went through the Linux GUI setup and everything looked like it went
> > well. I configured all the packages to install, let them install, and
> > then tested Xwindows. I then rebooted the box.

> > Upon reboot, it shows the Redhat startup and then tries to boot Linux.
> > It displays some information (too fast to see and I can't pause it)
> > and then it starts displaying long strings of characters and number
> > across the screen (i.e. [<e5580000>]. It does this with new strings of
> > characters and numbers and then just stops.

> > I have re-installed and still get the same problem... any suggestions
> > anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks for your time

> > Aaron Schnieder

1. a few ideas to help get Domino 5.0x installed under linux Redhat 7.1

Guys,

I found a few ideas to help get Domino 5.0x installed under linux Kernel
2.4 - including redhat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0.

Have you seen how bad the install crashes !!

check this links for details:
http://www.icconsulting.com.au/technologies.jsp/DominoLinux.html

--

regards
Scott Farrell

http://www.icconsulting.com.au
ic Consulting - integrating your business in a web world.
We offer e-business consulting and perform services. We deliver high
impact consulting, and fast turn around projects for our clients.
Ask us about Web Content Management,  Web Self Service, or working
closer with your customers or suppliers.

  sfarrell.vcf
< 1K Download

2. remote tripwire

3. help in install Redhat Linux 7.1

4. Linux Laptop Recommendation

5. RedHat Linux 7.1 - Install with AIC7xxxx Controller Help!

6. kde-kmail question

7. RedHat Linux 7.1 is a "MicroSoft Operating System"!

8. Tape Drive Depression!

9. Cannot boot Red Hat 7.1 based linux with the help of loadlin

10. win98, redhat linux 7.1 dual boot system , fdisk

11. HELP: Redhat 7.1 install (logs included)

12. Redhat 7.1 install freezes- Newbie needs help

13. Installing gnotepad+ on Redhat 7.1: Please help