Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

Post by Michael Ada » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I am considering installing Linux on my PC.  All of my hard drive space
is spoken for, so I would need to add a third hard drive to my system.
But, before I go out and spend a few hundred dollars on a new
hard drive, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of problems
I might have if I set my PC up this way:

System is a Gw2k P5-120, 32 meg 60ns EDO ram, ATI Mach 64 graphics, on board
EIDE controller, Ensoniq Soundscape sound card.

EIDE Controller 0:
     Drive 0:  OS/2 Boot Manager
               FAT partition for Window$ '95 (*mutter* *grumble*)

     Drive 1:  5 HPFS partitions (OS/2 Warp, programs, data, news spool, etc.)

EIDE Controller 1:
     Drive 0:  ATAPI-compliant 3-disk CD-ROM drive

     Drive 1:  new HD, where Linux partitions will go

In other words, will Linux squawk at being installed on or booting from the
secondary drive on the secondary controller?  Or, do I need to look into
getting a SCSI drive?  I haven't seen anything written in the files I've
looked at that suggest that there might be a problem, but....

Also, is there anything special I need to know in shopping for a
hard drive for Linux, or about hardware problems I am going to encounter
(aside from only being able to use tray 0 of the CD-ROM drive....)?

Thanks in advance.

--
Michael Adams
Triskele Consulting

--

1. How to enable 2nd IDE port on DTC 2278D VESA IDE controller card?

A friend of mine has a VESA-bus machine with a DTC 2278D dual-port IDE
controller card. He wants to make his CD-ROM drive the master drive on
the second port. The problem is that the kernel doesn't recognize the
second IDE port. I think that the problem has to do with the fact that a
special MS-DOS program has to be used to turn on the second port.

The kernel recognizes the CD-ROM drive if it is connected to the the
first port. However, my friend has two IDE hard drives, and for every
device to be used, something has to go on the second port.

Does anyone know how to get the kernel to recognize the second IDE port?

--
Thomas E. Vaughan                              voice: (303) 739-5021

Hughes Information Technology Systems
Mission Analysis and Engineering                            Be well.

2. hi

3. 2.5.69-mm9, CMD649 IDE controller 2nd IDE channel doesn't work

4. SLS 1.05 installation problem

5. Install to 2nd IDE controller's logical drive

6. KDE && Apache

7. Slackware, 2nd IDE ctrlr, 2nd partition

8. making XISP

9. Can Linux use a 2nd IDE controller

10. Linux won't find ATAPI cdrom on 2nd IDE controller...help!

11. boot linux on 2nd IDE controller

12. Does Linux support CD-ROM on 2nd IDE controller?

13. Problems with 2nd IDE i/f and IDE CD-ROM on Compaq Presario CDS 972