BOOT DISK won't boot..help?!

Post by John N. Kelln » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I am running Slackware 1.2.8 and just got a new 1.2 Gig which is now
hda.  I want to install Slackware 3.0.0 on this disk.

I *cannot* get any of the boot disks to boot.  Everything hangs right
after my BIOS info screen is printed (AMI bios).

I have tried the bare, abare, and sbpcd flavours.  All with same result.
I have tried new, fresh floppies and redownloading the kernels.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I'd really like to get going on this.

Could I use my 1.2.8 kernel and loadlin to get this up and running?
Thanks.
--
                              John Kellner

                              CARPE DIEM

1. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

 A couple of days ago, I installed the Slackware D-series that I had
downloaded and stored on a *DOS* partition on my Fujitsu 128MB m.o. scsi
drive (hooray!).

 At one point I was told that I was required to install the Linux kernel
if I wanted to use the C compiler, so I did.

 When there was no more software to install, I was asked (and I think
advised) to make a new boot disk, which I did.

 However, when I tried to 'reboot' using my new boot disk, I got a
"kernel panic" and a dead machine, so I punched the RESET button, but the
same thing happened: kernel panic.

 So, I tried booting with my old boot disk, which worked!

 Question: How come my old boot disk works but my supposedly new boot
disk doesn't?

 Followup: Is this something I should be concerned about or can I just
recycle that "new" boot disk?
--
  Bill Hogan

--
  Bill Hogan

2. natd

3. slakware boot disk won't boot (help)

4. CLE + Redhat

5. Won't boot from boot disk - "crc error"

6. help switching from NT to linux

7. KERNEL BOOT DISK WON'T BOOT!

8. ctrl-alt-bckspace

9. Slackware boot disk won't boot.

10. Installation Problems (Boot Disk Won't Boot!)

11. Slackware Boot disk won't boot

12. slackware boot disk won't boot

13. Starbuck won't boot, rescue disk won't mount