"Only root can mount /dev/cdrom" error

Post by Trevor Jenki » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 02:02:12

I'm obviosuly missing something simple. When I try to mount a CD-ROM on a
machine using

mount /mnt/cdrom

I get the error "mount: only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom". Yet
on another system (which was built from the same distrubition CD) I can
mount CD-ROMs as any user.

Have checked the permissions on /dev/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom and they're the
same on both systems. Likewise contents of both /etc/fstab files are
identical (at least for /dev/cdrom). What am I missing?

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!

Post by dav.. » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 02:42:20

> What am I missing?

Check the entry in /etc/fstab, there is a "user" parameter for
the /mnt/cdrom ?

Davide

Post by Charles Sulliva » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 02:53:13

> I'm obviosuly missing something simple. When I try to mount a CD-ROM on
> a machine using

> mount /mnt/cdrom

> I get the error "mount: only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom".
> Yet on another system (which was built from the same distrubition CD) I
> can mount CD-ROMs as any user.

> Have checked the permissions on /dev/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom and they're
> the same on both systems. Likewise contents of both /etc/fstab files are
> identical (at least for /dev/cdrom). What am I missing?

> Regards, Trevor

/dev/cdrom is just a link, and permissions of links have no meaning.
Check the permissions of the device it's linking to, e.g.,
if 'ls -l /dev/cdrom' says:
  /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
then run 'ls -l /dev/hdc' to check its permissions.

Post by Richard Adam » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:38:20

>> What am I missing?

> Check the entry in /etc/fstab, there is a "user" parameter for the
> /mnt/cdrom ?

> Davide

Examples would be;

/dev/cdrom    /cdrom  iso9660 noauto,users    0       0
/dev/hdb        /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,users 0     0
/dev/scd0       /cdrom/0 iso9660 noauto,users,ro 0      0
/dev/scd1       /cdrom  iso9660 noauto,users,ro 0       0

noauto = do not auttmount at bootime
users = what you seem to be looking for
ro = because some will say you need it but you dont.

man fstab explains all the fields and thier meaning + lots more.

--
Regards Richard

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

Post by Trevor Jenki » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:54:29

> >> What am I missing?

> > Check the entry in /etc/fstab, there is a "user" parameter for the
> > /mnt/cdrom ?

> > Davide

> users = what you seem to be looking for

Is indeed, thank you.

The original said "owner" but so did the functioning system. Seems that
that one is wrong too; only a single user and root so it did matter there.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!

1. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

"That should do it.  I hope this was not to long an explaination, but
"I want you to have a fell for what you are doing before doing it.

"Now as to why...
"Most multitasking multiuser Operation system do not let users
"access the mount command.  Linux makes it possible for users
"to use the command, but doesn't give the privilage to automatically.
"Root has to set the priv on a per device basis.

   ... oh wow.  that was great.  thanks ...

"it's not what you see ,
 but in stead notice."

http://www.aniota.com/~twhite

2. how to redirect serial port

3. Ask for G400 driver for Xwin

4. how to map "/dev/root" to "/proc/partitions" entry in user prog?

5. gcc cannot find math.h ?!

7. Net Support for Intel 8/16?

8. syslogd: "/" in "/dev//dev/tty"

9. Why "fdisk /dev/hdb1" works but not "fdisk /dev/hdb"!?

10. How to "rcp"/"rsh" as "root"?

11. "mount -o bind" - "fs type none not supported" error

12. Problem while mounting a damaged CD : /dev/cdrom "locked"