help with LILO

Post by J. Simmon » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hi i have uninstalled linux from my old pc as i am about to sell it. i have
left windows on the system but i forgot to remove lilo from my harddisk, so
whenever i  boot up i get the lilo laoder prompt. is there a way to remove the
lilo from my harddisk without having to go through installing linux again, or
reformating the disk???

thank you

jon

help with LILO

Post by Joe Chiasso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

From dos prompt in Windows type fdisk /mbr. This should take care of it as long as
LILO is resident in the Master Boot Record.

> hi i have uninstalled linux from my old pc as i am about to sell it. i have
> left windows on the system but i forgot to remove lilo from my harddisk, so
> whenever i  boot up i get the lilo laoder prompt. is there a way to remove the
> lilo from my harddisk without having to go through installing linux again, or
> reformating the disk???

> thank you

> jon

1. please help - lost LILO, LILO lost

Hello,

i recently brought my linux system down by doing some stupid thing.
i went as far as having no choice but to reset the system a few
times. after that, i tried booting win95 (sorry this beast coexists
on my hard drives). upon getting the wallpaper on screen, the screen
went blank and there was no response. then i rebooted the computer
and this time the lilo prompt was changed from "LILO: " to "LI"
and the system hung. i had no emergency boot disks ready (it was
under work at that time) but i did have a boot disk for win95 and so
i got the dos prompt with that. however, many directories were
not readable, one of which contained a comm program that i needed to
use. i turned to my good old 386, made a rescue disk and somehow
managed to get into linux again. now everythings works fine under
linux with booting from a floppy but i can't figure out how i could
fix the supposedly damaged MBR. i tried restoring the old MBR by
'lilo -u' and 'dd if=/boot/boot.0300 of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1'
and reinstall lilo but it didn't work. by restoring the old mbr,
i get a message like 'insert system disk' or something, and by
reinstalling it, i get the "LI" prompt again. the lilo.conf file
is as follows.

compact
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
# timeout=600
image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

i still can mount win95 filesystems and i think everything is readable,
if that matters. help, anyone please?

--
Our freedom, or your life!                              <RATM>

2. hpux cc

3. Help: Need help with LILO config file.

4. Netgear FA310TX Full Duplex question

5. please help with LILO, pervious post did not help

6. Q: RAID with LUN's on Sun

7. HELP (PLEASE) LILO needed fix-table to install on IDE drive

8. Colors in Directories (for tty/xterms)

9. Help: fdisk/lilo & Disk Geometry

10. help with lilo

11. Newbie: Help with LILO

12. Help with LILO?