HELP. Copying entire linux partition to another partition

Post by Jeffrey Voigh » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I need some help.

> When I installed my latest InfoMagic Slackware I did some on a smaller
> sort of catch all partition that was a DOS partition.  I changed it to a
> linux native to do this.  After succesful instalation and copying what I
> want form the older linux partition, I now want to replace the old linux
> on that partition, which is bigger, with the new linux installation.

> I stupidly tried cp without thinging about links and mounted device
> files and got a ton of complaints from cp.

> So, how can I do it as painlessly a possible?

dd if=/dev/(frompartition) of=/dev/(topartition)
read the man page for dd before you do it.   BAD things can come
from this command

--

Post by Rick Coll » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I need some help.
>When I installed my latest InfoMagic Slackware I did some on a smaller
>sort of catch all partition that was a DOS partition.  I changed it to a
>linux native to do this.  After succesful instalation and copying what I
>want form the older linux partition, I now want to replace the old linux
>on that partition, which is bigger, with the new linux installation.
>I stupidly tried cp without thinging about links and mounted device
>files and got a ton of complaints from cp.
>So, how can I do it as painlessly a possible?
>And yes, I do know to go and change my fstab to have the '/' mounted on
>the new partition.
>Jeff Pierce

Jeff - I'm not sure if this will work for you but I just transferred
all my linux files to a new hard drive as follows:

1. boot linux (duh)
2. make sure the drive you're copying to is linux native & ext2fs
3. make a directory for the drive you want to copy to and mount it on
that directory (make the directory the lowest in your directory list
like /1 or something so you won't get a recursive copy of the copy of
the copy).
4. from the directory you want to copy from: cp -dpvxR * /1
5. it'll *on /proc
6. log to another console and kill it when it chokes
/var & vmlinuz
8. No guarantees but it worked just fine for me - Best of luck

1. Why kernel hangs when copied entire partition ?

I connected another hard drive into my system (a Conner CP3204F),
and mounted it, and copied /vmlinuz, /bin/,/etc/,/boot/,/lib/,
/root/,/sbin/ to it
(after of course partitioning, and doing a mkfs -t ext2 on it).

I'm still using the kernel that Slackware 2.2.0 put on my hard
drive for me.

I'm using LILO (passing ether=15,768,eth0 ether=10,800,eth1 to the
kernel to see my two ethernet cards).

The last messages I get before the kernel apparently hangs are:

eth1: NE2000 found at 0x320, using IRQ 10.

Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.

T 1995
Partition check:
  hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
  hdb: hdb1

*******
I still have the system from which I copied, and I can boot it
(it is on the slave drive IDE - /dev/hdb1).

Any suggestions what I might try or do ?

I assume that the kernel is hanging somewhere between where it
prints out VFS: Mounted root...
which I guess is from the source code in super.c
and when init prints out its date and version,
because the next message I get when booting it successfully
off of the second drive is
April 25 14:10:13 init[1]: version 2.4 booting

I have an 80386 motherboard, and a ISA bus.

Thanks for any help.

Perry Rapp
Computer Sciences Corporation

2. IBM chooses Linux & Qtopia (what's on the Zaurus) for embedded

3. WANTED : Utility to copy file from Dos Partition (Win95) to Linux Partition

4. Problem compiling Tools.h++

5. Copying entire partitions... over the network ?

6. Problems with AHA-2940U2W w/ RH61, RH62

7. how do you copy an entire partition?

8. ?? syslogd ??

9. Copying entire partitions... over the network ?

10. Copying Entire Partition

11. how to copy entire extfs2 partition to another?

12. Best way to copy partition data onto a bigger partition

13. partition to partition copy?