RedHat GNU freeware or limit freeware...

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I just wonder Redhat.. I found GNU license note under Redhat ftp site.
>Please correct me, can Redhat be use under commercial area without
>anything that's says... u need to buy licenses!??

You certainly don't need to buy licences!

The point of the GPL is, roughly, that you can't take free software and
make it proprietary [1] - so if your proprietary use of GPLed software
includes linking it with software which you don't place under a
compatible license, then sorry, no go. This is needed to make sure free
software doesn't get subverted into being non-free.

However, there are no restrictions on the environments in which you can
*use* GPLed software. If you want to use it in your business, that's
fine.

[1] Note that "commercial" is not the same as "proprietary". The
    confusion is common, but "commercial" means that your software is
    not free as in free beer, whereas "proprietary" means that your
    software is not free as in free speech. See http://www.gnu.org/ for
    more information.

--

"Is this legal?"
"That question is OFF-TOPIC here." - alt.binaries.cracks FAQ

RedHat GNU freeware or limit freeware...

Post by Jayasutha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I just wonder Redhat.. I found GNU license note under Redhat ftp site.
Please correct me, can Redhat be use under commercial area without
anything that's says... u need to buy licenses!?? I need help .. as i am
about to start with with alpha workstation.. running linux...

thanks friends,

suthan

RedHat GNU freeware or limit freeware...

Post by Chri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Anything under the GNU General Public License may be used freely by anyone,
regardless of whether it is in a company. However, if you modify and
distribute anything that is under the GNU General Public License, you must
provide the full source code.

1. freeware.gnu.gcc.rte where can i find it

Hi all

 freeware.gnu.gcc.rte this is the base file set that i am looking for, i had
problems installing gcc 2.95.3 binary on my rs/6000 machine . it fails due
to this file set that is missing.

 Any clues or help  would be appreciated
thanks
Narasimhan

2. Unix PowerTools

3. GNU/Freeware mail scanner

4. ifconfig does not display IPs for lo and eth0

5. Sun Freeware - all gnu tools

6. timeout sending Config-Request

7. Best freeware firewall/proxy for RedHat linux?

8. decreasing size of binaries compiled with gcc?

9. freeware motif gui builders

10. Freeware CD for Solaris 10

11. freeware database software

12. Freeware (was Re: Die Netscape Die)

13. Help: Expansion of Solaris 2.5 Freeware Project