Kernel rebuild

Post by Bruce Barbou » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

OK, I give up.  Installed Red Hat 5 - working fine for me, a newbie.
Then on to compile a new kernel using Red Hat manual instructions which
are duplicated in other Linux books I have. Used xconfig to structure
the desired kernel. However, when I build the kernel with "make boot", I
am then told, among other things, to cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
/zImage /boot/vmlinuz but then am told there is no such file. "locate"
confirms there is no such file. In: /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot there
is: Makefile  Compressed  Setup.s. Video.s Install.sh tools and
bootsect.s but no zImage.  I tried again, using make zImage instead of
make boot - same result. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kernel rebuild

Post by felicity+s.. » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> the desired kernel. However, when I build the kernel with "make boot", I

you want "make zImage", not "make boot".

Kernel rebuild

Post by John Winte » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>OK, I give up.  Installed Red Hat 5 - working fine for me, a newbie.
>Then on to compile a new kernel using Red Hat manual instructions which
>are duplicated in other Linux books I have. Used xconfig to structure
>the desired kernel. However, when I build the kernel with "make boot", I
>am then told, among other things, to cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
>/zImage /boot/vmlinuz but then am told there is no such file. "locate"
>confirms there is no such file. In: /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot there
>is: Makefile  Compressed  Setup.s. Video.s Install.sh tools and
>bootsect.s but no zImage.  I tried again, using make zImage instead of
>make boot - same result. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you do "make dep" and "make clean" before "make zImage"?

What error messages did you get from "make zImage"?  (Just the last
30 lines or so should do.)

John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

Kernel rebuild

Post by Bob Lewi » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> OK, I give up.  Installed Red Hat 5 - working fine for me, a newbie.
> Then on to compile a new kernel using Red Hat manual instructions which
> are duplicated in other Linux books I have. Used xconfig to structure
> the desired kernel. However, when I build the kernel with "make boot", I
> am then told, among other things, to cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
> /zImage /boot/vmlinuz but then am told there is no such file. "locate"
> confirms there is no such file. In: /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot there
> is: Makefile  Compressed  Setup.s. Video.s Install.sh tools and
> bootsect.s but no zImage.  I tried again, using make zImage instead of
> make boot - same result. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you might want to try "make zImage" instead of "make boot".
That worked for me.

        - Bob Lewis

1. Solaris 2.5 Kernel Parameters and Kernel rebuild

I have recently inherited a Solaris box to administer, and in trying to set
up ORACLE, I have encountered a requirement to increase the size of the
shared memory segments.

I am used to tuning HP-UX machines, which require a Kernel rebuild after
modifying a parameter such as this.  However I can't find any details on
rebuilds in the man pages on the Sun, and can only assume that after
placing an entry into /etc/system, for the SHMMAX parameter, I reboot the
machine and it picks up the new value at boot time?  Surely not?!

If anyone can shed any light I'd be much obliged.  I am accessing the box
remotely, so if a reboot fails it will be hard for me to log back into it!

Thanks in advance

Campbell Ford

2. Switch to Linux, You'll be glad you did.

3. OK to remove source tree after kernel rebuild?

4. Available memory on a Unix system.

5. When to make world vs kernel rebuild

6. Config XF86 with an ATI 128 MAGNUM

7. Wrong Kernel Rebuilding - How can I change the path ?

8. XFree

9. dhcpcd redhat 6 fails after kernel rebuild

10. SB Live!/emu10k1.o unresolved symbols after kernel rebuild

11. Kernel rebuild problems

12. help: kernel rebuild lost PPP

13. red hat kernel rebuilding