SB Live 5.1 Patinum, under Redhat 8

Post by Russell Broo » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:43:10

Help please... I am new to linux... this week infact... I have built 2
machines, both have sound blasters, one a live card the other a live
5.1... try as i might i have been unable to get the live 5.1 card
working... is anyone out there able to help? The M/C with the SB Value,
just PnP... with no probs

If i look under system setting, sound card detection i se
Vendor: Creative Labs
Model SB Live! EMU10k1
Module: Disabled

I hear nothing if i click 'Play Sound'

intel P4 2GB
1GB Ram PC 133
nVidia gForce 4200 64MB ram
SB Live 5,1
SB Modem Blaster PCI V92
Redhat Linux 8 with all the updates

PS also the modem cannot be recignised or is not working... is it
possible to get this going also?... not too worried as i have broadband
and connect via the lan, but if it's possible i would like to get it
working!

Thanks in advance

Russ

Post by Per Blomqvis » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:24:02

> Help please... I am new to linux... this week infact... I have built 2
> machines, both have sound blasters, one a live card the other a live
> 5.1... try as i might i have been unable to get the live 5.1 card
> working... is anyone out there able to help? The M/C with the SB Value,
> just PnP... with no probs

> If i look under system setting, sound card detection i se
> Vendor: Creative Labs
> Model SB Live! EMU10k1
> Module: Disabled

> I hear nothing if i click 'Play Sound'

> intel P4 2GB
> 1GB Ram PC 133

WOW! Why soo mutch RAM!!
( get loaded folks )

Quote:> nVidia gForce 4200 64MB ram
> SB Live 5,1
> SB Modem Blaster PCI V92
> Redhat Linux 8 with all the updates

> PS also the modem cannot be recignised or is not working... is it
> possible to get this going also?... not too worried as i have broadband
> and connect via the lan, but if it's possible i would like to get it
> working!

> Thanks in advance

> Russ

I would love to play Quake on your machine.
( It must float as water )

Post by Russell Broo » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:27:31

>> Help please... I am new to linux... this week infact... I have built 2
>> machines, both have sound blasters, one a live card the other a live
>> 5.1... try as i might i have been unable to get the live 5.1 card
>> working... is anyone out there able to help? The M/C with the SB
>> Value, just PnP... with no probs

>> If i look under system setting, sound card detection i se
>> Vendor: Creative Labs
>> Model SB Live! EMU10k1
>> Module: Disabled

>> I hear nothing if i click 'Play Sound'

>> intel P4 2GB
>> 1GB Ram PC 133

> WOW! Why soo mutch RAM!!
> ( get loaded folks )

>> nVidia gForce 4200 64MB ram
>> SB Live 5,1
>> SB Modem Blaster PCI V92
>> Redhat Linux 8 with all the updates

>> PS also the modem cannot be recignised or is not working... is it
>> possible to get this going also?... not too worried as i have
>> broadband and connect via the lan, but if it's possible i would like
>> to get it working!

>> Thanks in advance

>> Russ

> I would love to play Quake on your machine.
> ( It must float as water )

It Does... Pretty goo on UT2003... But that under Win 2K....alas i would
like to play under Linux...I have most other things working now... will
save me having to reboot as often... Antone else help?

Russ

SB Live 5.1 Patinum, under Redhat 8

Post by Per Blomqvis » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:49:43

I also had problem with my soundcard also..

A. You can use "sndconfig" as root. That will search for it, and test it.

-and or-

B. You can press [Window bottom] and [Break] in Windows, and type down
the hardware property of your soundcard.

-and or-

C. Try to manually modify your "/etc/modules.conf", where the
configuration is stored.

-and or-

D. Search the internet, like www.google.com after proper installation of
your fabrication.

-and or-

E. Go to the manufacters site and complain.

[ For me with my old Cristal ( something ) ISA card. "B", "C" and "D"
was a success ]

>>> Help please... I am new to linux... this week infact... I have built
>>> 2 machines, both have sound blasters, one a live card the other a
>>> live 5.1... try as i might i have been unable to get the live 5.1
>>> card working... is anyone out there able to help? The M/C with the SB
>>> Value, just PnP... with no probs

>>> If i look under system setting, sound card detection i se
>>> Vendor: Creative Labs
>>> Model SB Live! EMU10k1
>>> Module: Disabled

>>> I hear nothing if i click 'Play Sound'

>>> intel P4 2GB
>>> 1GB Ram PC 133

>> WOW! Why soo mutch RAM!!
>> ( get loaded folks )

>>> nVidia gForce 4200 64MB ram
>>> SB Live 5,1
>>> SB Modem Blaster PCI V92
>>> Redhat Linux 8 with all the updates

>>> PS also the modem cannot be recignised or is not working... is it
>>> possible to get this going also?... not too worried as i have
>>> broadband and connect via the lan, but if it's possible i would like
>>> to get it working!

>>> Thanks in advance

>>> Russ

>> I would love to play Quake on your machine.
>> ( It must float as water )

> It Does... Pretty goo on UT2003... But that under Win 2K....alas i would
> like to play under Linux...I have most other things working now... will
> save me having to reboot as often... Antone else help?

> Russ

SB Live 5.1 Patinum, under Redhat 8

Post by Per Blomqvis » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:01:29

<snip>
<snip>

Or it is swished off, bring up the mixer:
Like "gmix" or "kmix" (Xsession).

Post by Russell Broo » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:45:25

> <snip>
> <snip>

> Or it is swished off, bring up the mixer:
> Like "gmix" or "kmix" (Xsession).

Hey... Thanks for the pointers.... Your first suggestion, snd config...
told be i needed to disable PnP in Bios... next boot i got a cinfig util
come up... sound now works a treat!

Thanks for the tip on KMix.... i'm new to linux... and learning all the
time... only thing is it seems like the hard way!... well at least the
knowledge sticks better that way... Appreciate your help!

Russ

1. SB Live 5.1 + SB 128 PCI

Hi!

Is there anyone in here who has experience with the above two cards in one
computer? I can't get them to work together... I'm running RedHat 9 with
custom compiled kernel 2.4.20. I've tried the emu10k1 driver from
http://opensource.creative.com/ together with the es1371 driver from the
kernel, but that's doesn't seem to work.. Looks like I've got /dev/dsp0 and
/dev/dsp1 where dsp0 is the front 2 speakers, and dsp1 are the rear two
speakers... but I don't have a /dev/dsp* for the es1371 card... I also
tried ALSA but KDE doesn't seem to like that and the computer just stops
responding while KDE is loading... Any suggestions anyone? Just ask for
more info.. I'm kinda new with this so don't know what info you guys
need... Thanks !!!!

Greetings
Tom.

2. this is not partition table problem. but what is it??

3. SB Live driver does SB Live Value?

4. Salvage

5. SB Live 5.1 Linux Drivers

6. SUN Serial Port Connection

7. SB Live! 5.1 & Mandrake 8.2

8. hundreds of defunct processes

9. SB Live 5.1 retail vs. OEM/white box ?

10. RH 7.2/7.3 support for SB Live! 5.1

11. Linux drivers for the SB Live 5.1 sound card

12. driver creative sb live 5.1