Users having probs logging into Linux system, get '/home/...' doesn't exist.

Users having probs logging into Linux system, get '/home/...' doesn't exist.

Post by Tony Langd » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I'm havina a problem with a linux system here that just developed
overnight.  Basically, users are unable to login at all, and when
attempting to login, they get a message saying 'directory
/home/<username> doesn't exist!', even though it does, and the
permissions are set correctly.  The problem doesn't go away if a
different kernel is used, and although there was some filesystem
corruption detected by e2fsck, fixing this had no effect.  It's starting
to look like the permissions on some file used in the login process is
incorrect, but I haven't been able to find anything out of the ordinary
yet...

If anyone has any ideas, could you please e-mail me?  Since this machine
provides most of my e-mail and news, I'm posting from a backup account,
and may not see followup responses.

Thanks in advance.

1. 'who' doesn't know who's logged in

Hi,
        I'm running 1.1.54 as a PPP dialin server to the net.

        I have users' shells set to /etc/ppp/ppplogin, which
is a shell script that launches pppd. This works fine, and users
can dial in and dial out at will.
        The problem is that when people are logged in, and the
pppd is running for them, if I do a 'who', it doesn't show the
ppp users. Well, it does, but only in the beginning. If someone
is logged in for, like, more than 30 mins or so, they don't
show up in 'who'.

        I guess it's cause they are idle or something?

        I need this to work so I can do user accounting and set quotas
and basically know who is logged in when.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,
Pat Richard, System Administrator, Whistler Networks.

Whistler Home Page: http://www.whistler.net/
"Connecting Whistler to the World"
Whistler, B.C. - THE PREMIERE SKI RESORT in NORTH AMERICA

2. Setting up dial-up network

3. 'Makefile' doesn't exist??

4. $100 gift certificate

5. Vsftp doesn't log some users' uploads

6. compile a shell script

7. user user mailbox doesn't exist; how do I create?

8. help with sed, awk, grep, ...

9. having trouble getting 'sed' to delete comment lines in source files

10. 'cat file' but only if 'file' exist

11. 'su --login user -c command' doesn't run loggin scripts

12. dmesg doesn't show 'file system full' msgs

13. Help with 'user', 'w', 'who' commands