RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by steve » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 16:28:24



Hello;

I downloaded CD 1,2,3 from RH ftp site.
Burned the CD's ok.
Next, I rebooted the PC and put CD 1 in.
Next, I did the media check on all the three CD's and everything passed.
Next I went through the installation. Asked to install everything.
Next, it finished CD1 and asked me to enter CD2. I did. Then it started
installing packages from CD2 ok. after few minutes and number of packages
installed, the whole thing hanged. I waited and waited and nothing is
changing and no more packages are being installed. the system is froze.

I rebooted and tried again. The same thing happened.

Next, I rebooted and did not select everything, but selected small number
of pckages. Again CD2 was read, but this time it did not hang, since now
very small number of package was being read.

So, the installation now completed OK.

I boot into the system, go to root and select 'packages' under 'system tools'
from the main menu. I now select all the packages that I did not select
during installation.

It asks me to insert CD1, it starts reading the packages, and now the
whole system hangs again (it happened to be reading the gcc package, but
that is just by chance). The system freezes. the mouse does not move.

my PC is a new PC. 2 CPU (I select smp when booting). It is ZEON, 2.4 GHZ,
mother board is supermicro MBD-P4DME. This PC have no HW problem, I run windoz
OK on it for 4 months now.

kernel is 'Linux 2.4.18-14smp' (the one that comes with RH 8, I did not
recompile or build anything new).

CDROM is YAMAHA CRW2200E (CD/RW).

has anyone else has similar problems?
What do you think can be wrong?
where else to look for possible problem?

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by Paul Lutu » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 16:35:53


/ ...

Quote:> my PC is a new PC. 2 CPU (I select smp when booting). It is ZEON, 2.4
> GHZ, mother board is supermicro MBD-P4DME. This PC have no HW problem, I
> run windoz OK on it for 4 months now.

How come it never occurs to anyone to say how much RAM they have?

While we're on the topic, how come it never occurs to anyone to say how
large their HDD is?

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by Per Blomqvis » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:37:08



> Hello;

> I downloaded CD 1,2,3 from RH ftp site.
> Burned the CD's ok.
> Next, I rebooted the PC and put CD 1 in.
> Next, I did the media check on all the three CD's and everything passed.
> Next I went through the installation. Asked to install everything.
> Next, it finished CD1 and asked me to enter CD2. I did. Then it started
> installing packages from CD2 ok. after few minutes and number of packages
> installed, the whole thing hanged. I waited and waited and nothing is
> changing and no more packages are being installed. the system is froze.

> I rebooted and tried again. The same thing happened.

> Next, I rebooted and did not select everything, but selected small number
> of pckages. Again CD2 was read, but this time it did not hang, since now
> very small number of package was being read.

> So, the installation now completed OK.

> I boot into the system, go to root and select 'packages' under 'system tools'
> from the main menu. I now select all the packages that I did not select
> during installation.

> It asks me to insert CD1, it starts reading the packages, and now the
> whole system hangs again (it happened to be reading the gcc package, but
> that is just by chance). The system freezes. the mouse does not move.

> my PC is a new PC. 2 CPU (I select smp when booting). It is ZEON, 2.4 GHZ,
> mother board is supermicro MBD-P4DME. This PC have no HW problem, I run windoz
> OK on it for 4 months now.

> kernel is 'Linux 2.4.18-14smp' (the one that comes with RH 8, I did not
> recompile or build anything new).

> CDROM is YAMAHA CRW2200E (CD/RW).

> has anyone else has similar problems?
> What do you think can be wrong?
> where else to look for possible problem?

When you downloaded the cd-images, you should have checked the
"checksum", Use "md5". It have actually happen to me that a ISO download
was corrupt for me, I sure it's nothing. You are using to much RAM while
installing :/ ( guess )

I'm notice many newbie want everything.
Is that GREED?.
( you don't know how many strange.."etc" programs there are!

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by reh » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 21:00:37




> / ...

>> my PC is a new PC. 2 CPU (I select smp when booting). It is ZEON, 2.4
>> GHZ, mother board is supermicro MBD-P4DME. This PC have no HW problem, I
>> run windoz OK on it for 4 months now.

> How come it never occurs to anyone to say how much RAM they have?

> While we're on the topic, how come it never occurs to anyone to say how
> large their HDD is?

I gonna guess with a 2.4 cpu it probably has enough of everything for Linux.

Steve, try going into the BIOS and turning off everything that's
intergrated into the mb like sound etc... Try a bare install.  If that
doesn't work, don't install everything in RH. I check out RH 8 the other
day with just KDE to check out the Blue Curve stuff.  If nothing else
works, send me the CPU box for a few months as I try to get it working. :)

Paul: Cool site you have.  Gotta questing for you. I'm using Konqueror with
Java turned on. How can I get you Applet to load.

--
reh
http://flashpages.prodigy.net/rhordjr/

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by mjt » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 02:43:40



> has anyone else has similar problems?
> What do you think can be wrong?

.... do a 'df' to see what your storage allocation currently is.
have your checked your log files?  zero in on the date/time the
hang occurs in the logs.

--
-------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  |    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     |   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              |     universe by zero

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by steve » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 04:18:57



> When you downloaded the cd-images, you should have checked the
> "checksum", Use "md5". It have actually happen to me that a ISO download
> was corrupt for me, I sure it's nothing. You are using to much RAM while
> installing :/ ( guess )

please read what you are replying for.
I said I did run the 'media check' test before, and they are PASSED.

There is nothign wrong with the CD's. Actually after trying to install
the packages few times (and everytime RH hangs), then one time it
finished. It is a matter of how many packages I select at one time. If
I select few a time it works.

Quote:> I'm notice many newbie want everything.
> Is that GREED?.
> ( you don't know how many strange.."etc" programs there are!

ballony. I am not going to pay more than 150 dollars for a piece of *
OS that hangs when installing. I've had problems with linux distros every time
I try new distro, and I got tried paying money for CD's that I end
up throwing in the trash later. So I wanted to try RH 8 to see if it is
any better.

To let you know, I threw the RH8 8 CD's in the trash too, erased the
disk, and back to windows XP.

I'll give linux another try in a year to see if things have improved.

the linux abd GNU software is good, and I want to use linux, but it is still
not being put togther right and have many sharp edges and little testing
is doing on the installation part. This is improving but it is not yet
good enough.

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by Paul Lutu » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 04:39:07


/ ...

Quote:> ballony. I am not going to pay more than 150 dollars for a piece of *
> OS that hangs when installing.

RH 8 is free, so I have no idea what you are referring to.

Quote:> I've had problems with linux distros
> every time I try new distro, and I got tried paying money for CD's that
> I end up throwing in the trash later. So I wanted to try RH 8 to see if
> it is any better.

> To let you know, I threw the RH8 8 CD's in the trash too, erased the
> disk, and back to windows XP.

The problem is not RH 8. You still haven't said how much RAM you
have, or what your HDD space is. This is critical information.

Unlike Windows, in a Linux install, you choose what happens. And, as with
all such freedoms, there is added responsibility. Most likely you chose to
install too much for your system's resources.

Just guessing, since you don't think your system is in any way relevant
to the outcome.

Quote:> I'll give linux another try in a year to see if things have improved.

On your machine? Not likely.

Quote:

> the linux abd GNU software is good, and I want to use linux, but it is
> still not being put togther right

s/put together/installed/

Quote:> and have many sharp edges and little
> testing is doing on the installation part. This is improving but it is
> not yet good enough.

It certainly is good enough. It is not Windows, that's all you have
established.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:06:04




Quote:

> > When you downloaded the cd-images, you should have checked the
> > "checksum", Use "md5". It have actually happen to me that a ISO download
> > was corrupt for me, I sure it's nothing. You are using to much RAM while
> > installing :/ ( guess )

> please read what you are replying for.
> I said I did run the 'media check' test before, and they are PASSED.

> There is nothign wrong with the CD's. Actually after trying to install
> the packages few times (and everytime RH hangs), then one time it
> finished. It is a matter of how many packages I select at one time. If
> I select few a time it works.

Huh. You may have a disk issue. Also, when you burned the CD's, did you burn
them at top speed? Sometimes CD's burned at slower speeds work better as
they stream many megabytes of data to the installation tools. That depends a
lot on what drives you read with, what you burn with, the quality of the
CD's, etc. Unfortunately, burning CD's is not as reliable a process as we
might wish.

Quote:> ballony. I am not going to pay more than 150 dollars for a piece of *
> OS that hangs when installing. I've had problems with linux distros every
time
> I try new distro, and I got tried paying money for CD's that I end
> up throwing in the trash later. So I wanted to try RH 8 to see if it is
> any better.

Your cheapness may have been the problem. Can you do it from a network
installation reasonably? When I have a flakey CD drive, I've found using a
network install floppy to work quite well.

Quote:> To let you know, I threw the RH8 8 CD's in the trash too, erased the
> disk, and back to windows XP.

> I'll give linux another try in a year to see if things have improved.

See above. I am sorry you had trouble, but you hardly gave people here a
chance to respond. And considering how long it would take Micro$oft to
explain such an issue or explore it with you, the response time here is
*fantastic*.

Quote:> the linux abd GNU software is good, and I want to use linux, but it is
still
> not being put togther right and have many sharp edges and little testing
> is doing on the installation part. This is improving but it is not yet
> good enough.

Sorry you feel that way. CygWin is available for you if you'd like access to
a lot of the GNU tools under Windows, although Richard Stallman (founder of
FSF and primary author of gcc and emacs) apparently considers it a serious
heresy to port GNU tools to such a an anti-freeware environment.
 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by Per Blomqvis » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:30:40


<snip>

Quote:>>When you downloaded the cd-images, you should have checked the
>>"checksum", Use "md5". It have actually happen to me that a ISO download
>>was corrupt for me, I sure it's nothing. You are using to much RAM while
>>installing :/ ( guess )

> please read what you are replying for.
> I said I did run the 'media check' test before, and they are PASSED.

Media check for you burning program ( Like Easy CD, or Neo .)
Do NOT make any checksum check, of the type md5.

And the chance of a error infinitely low.
~Media~check of the CD do probably only check, for bad sectors ( like
"scandisk" on WIN-DOS )

Quote:> There is nothign wrong with the CD's. Actually after trying to install
> the packages few times (and everytime RH hangs), then one time it
> finished. It is a matter of how many packages I select at one time. If
> I select few a time it works.

Oooh..
Try install the sourcecode, and compile it.
Thats the ordinary way of installing!
  _( no joke )_

<snip>

Quote:> ballony. I am not going to pay more than 150 dollars for a piece of *
> OS that hangs when installing. I've had problems with linux distros every time
> I try new distro, and I got tried paying money for CD's that I end
> up throwing in the trash later. So I wanted to try RH 8 to see if it is
> any better.

Are you talking about Windos?
OS here OS there, you call: piece of "what"?

I have only paid for my hardware!

To need to pay for software, is like need to pay for sex.
( Then you are a misirible/losing person! )

Quote:> To let you know, I threw the RH8 8 CD's in the trash too, erased the
> disk, and back to windows XP.

Who keer.( To let you know, Im not running REDHAT)
Im have Mandrake8.1, works good.

Quote:> I'll give linux another try in a year to see if things have improved.

Thats the spirit :-)

<snip>
  ..Ehe, Have a better one.

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by mjt » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:12:29



> the linux abd GNU software is good, and I want to use linux, but it is
> still not being put togther right and have many sharp edges and little
> testing is doing on the installation part. This is improving but it is not
> yet good enough

.... it's quite possible you have h/w problems. i see this quite a
bit with your situation. and please dont say, "winders works fine".
you know why? because micros~1 OSes are more tolerant to h/w
quirkiness - this is NOT a GOOD THING. if you're having h/w glitches,
you'll want to know about it - you do NOT want them being masked
by the OS.

as to opinions, you say you always have issues with installation. me,
personally ... i've NEVER had a problem installing Linux since i've
been running ('93). $150???? for what? with a Linux distro (lets
take suse - $79us for pro) you get NOT JUST AN OS, you get usable
applications. so when you buy eXPensive and you install it on your
clean drive, what can you do with it? ZERO. i have literally 100's
of utilities and applications at my disposal. how much did you pay
for that micros~1 office box? probably twice as much as the
micros~1 OS.

what you *DO* get for free from micros~1 are lock ups, crashes,
BSOD, and a MULTITUDE of virii. i've NEVER been exposed to virii
since running Linux (oh, i get the occassional email riddled with
the stuff coming from people running outlook, but those dont affect
me). never had a BSOD. never had a crash or lock up. have one
particular machine with an uptime of over 6 months (suse 8.0) and
another at eight. clients have Linux machines that have been
running [easily] over a year.

can you run that eXPensive on a 166 with 64MB RAM and in 100 MB disk
space? doubt it. Linux can quite easily. can you easily change out
the GUI interface? doubt it. can you use that eXPensive for something
NOT gui related, as in a gateway or firewall? you can drag out that
old 486 and slap Linux on it and make it a productive box for a
print server or gateway or firewall. and where is eXPensive running?
i doubt it runs on as diverse of systems as Linux (talking processor
architectures here - i could care less how many different Intel
style processors).

--
-------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  |    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     |   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              |     universe by zero

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by Peter K?hlman » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:19:11




> / ...

>> ballony. I am not going to pay more than 150 dollars for a piece of
>> *OS that hangs when installing.

> RH 8 is free, so I have no idea what you are referring to.

>> I've had problems with linux distros
>> every time I try new distro, and I got tried paying money for CD's that
>> I end up throwing in the trash later. So I wanted to try RH 8 to see if
>> it is any better.

>> To let you know, I threw the RH8 8 CD's in the trash too, erased the
>> disk, and back to windows XP.

> The problem is not RH 8. You still haven't said how much RAM you
> have, or what your HDD space is. This is critical information.

Nope. He did say it is a 2.4 GHz machine. Now tell us in not too unclear
words where you will find such a beast with less than 256 MByte mem and
less than a 60 to 100 GByte hdd.

Peter
--
"The number of Unix installations has grown to ten, with more expected"
                -- The Unix programmers handbook, 1972

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by Timothy Murp » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:02:16



>Next I went through the installation. Asked to install everything.
>Next, it finished CD1 and asked me to enter CD2. I did. Then it started
>installing packages from CD2 ok. after few minutes and number of packages
>installed, the whole thing hanged. I waited and waited and nothing is
>changing and no more packages are being installed. the system is froze.

Surely you would know what package you were installing when this happened?

Quote:>Next, I rebooted and did not select everything, but selected small number
>of pckages. Again CD2 was read, but this time it did not hang, since now
>very small number of package was being read.
>So, the installation now completed OK.
>I boot into the system, go to root and select 'packages' under 'system tools'
>from the main menu. I now select all the packages that I did not select
>during installation.

Why not select all packages except the one on which it failed?

--
Timothy Murphy  

tel: 086-233 6090
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by Timothy Murp » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:11:54



>ballony. I am not going to pay more than 150 dollars for a piece of *
>OS that hangs when installing. I've had problems with linux distros every time
>I try new distro, and I got tried paying money for CD's that I end
>up throwing in the trash later. So I wanted to try RH 8 to see if it is
>any better.

Why did it cost $150?
If you are worried about the cost, why not buy from someone like www.cheapbytes.com ?
If you did pay $150, surely you would get RedHat support, at least for a time.
Couldn't you have asked them about your problem?

Quote:>I'll give linux another try in a year to see if things have improved.

Why not try RedHat-7.3?
There have certainly been more problems installing RH-8.0
than previous versions.

The kernel that came with 8.0 did not run on my SCSI machine.
Fortunately I was upgrading, and could use one of the kernels from 7.3.

--
Timothy Murphy  

tel: 086-233 6090
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:34:16





> > / ...

> >> ballony. I am not going to pay more than 150 dollars for a piece of
> >> *OS that hangs when installing.

> > RH 8 is free, so I have no idea what you are referring to.

> >> I've had problems with linux distros
> >> every time I try new distro, and I got tried paying money for CD's that
> >> I end up throwing in the trash later. So I wanted to try RH 8 to see if
> >> it is any better.

> >> To let you know, I threw the RH8 8 CD's in the trash too, erased the
> >> disk, and back to windows XP.

> > The problem is not RH 8. You still haven't said how much RAM you
> > have, or what your HDD space is. This is critical information.

> Nope. He did say it is a 2.4 GHz machine. Now tell us in not too unclear
> words where you will find such a beast with less than 256 MByte mem and
> less than a 60 to 100 GByte hdd.

In a Beowulf cluster or network monitoring device. It'll probably have the
RAM, but not the 60 gig: disk is not the point there.
 
 
 

RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

Post by steve » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:35:23




> as to opinions, you say you always have issues with installation. me,
> personally ... i've NEVER had a problem installing Linux since i've
> been running ('93).

really? so all those who are complaining about installation problems
are dreaming these things up? there is whole group setup for dealing
with installation problems and setup problem with linux distros. Just look
at the redhat group and see how many complain about installation*.

Quote:> $150???? for what? with a Linux distro (lets
> take suse - $79us for pro)

$80 every few moths, that amounts to hundreds of dollars a year.

Any way, the issue is not the money, I'll pay for linux, and have
paid more for linux over the years more than for windows, and so far
I am still using windows becuase linux distros are still not good
enough for me. I am not saying windows is better, but at least it did not
hang when I installed it.

and my HW is very expensive and I bought the best HW for this PC. The
PC costs more than $3,000 without monitor.

Quote:

> what you *DO* get for free from micros~1 are lock ups, crashes,
> BSOD, and a MULTITUDE of virii.

Never had a crash with XP.

Look, you can brag about linux all you want. If a distro hangs
during installation or during package update, then the whole thing
is trash as far as I am concerned. do not care how many apps or how
powerfull it is.

The problem here is NOT linux or GNU software, it is the distros and the
installation. I have tried my distros over the years, and 6/10 times, I have
a problem during installation.

 
 
 

1. red hat 6.2 installation hangs during package installation step

hi,

i've tried several times without success installing ret hat linux 6.2 on
my PC..it always hangs during the package installation step and proceeds
no more than 1/4 way through before hanging. I've tried installing the
default GNOME installation, as well as "server", and "custom" from 2
different CD-ROM drives on my freshly formatted hard drive to no avail.

Anyone ever experience this and/or have any suggestions?

thanks!

--
Posted via CNET Help.com
http://www.help.com/

2. Tricord ES4000 support?!

3. Redhat 8.0 setup freezing during package installation

4. setting AIX kernel parameters question

5. Installation of 2.2.1 hangs during adding packages

6. Makefile question

7. Install 'hangs' during installation of 'Local Packages'

8. HELP! I Can't Dial In!!

9. cannot activate eth0 (3c59x) in Red Hat 8.0, worked during installation, and on windows partition

10. Error during installation Mandrake 8.0

11. Ethernet card found during installation but I see error msgs on console (server installation)

12. Installation aborts during FTP installation

13. Red Hat 7.2 installation fails to recognize the keyboard during installation