Creative SB16 with kernel 2.2.6 (Caldera)

Creative SB16 with kernel 2.2.6 (Caldera)

Post by Craig M Lambe » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've recompiled kernel 2.2.6, so that my Creative SB16 pnp (isa) sound
card issupported. I've looked at the sound how-to and carried out the
various commands to check the sound card. It appears the card has been
recognised yet has not been configured. Which drivers should I have
selected to be compiled into the kernel?
The output of the commands to check the card are below:

ls -l /dev/sndstat
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      14,   6 Aug 19  1998 /dev/sndstat

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux mlambert64.freeserve.co.uk 2.2.6 #2 SMP Fri Apr 23
14:21:21 BST 1999 i686
Config options: 0
Installed drivers:
Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
(Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1,5)
(SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 1 drq 0)

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:

Thanks for any help

Craig

1. Problems with SB16 Creative CD220E CD-ROM

A few days ago I've posted a query about my SB16 CD-ROM, which I had
problems installing. Someone pointed out that I should really be using
an IDECD driver as it caters for IDE drives and ATAPI CD-ROMs and it
should detect my CD-ROM. Well, I've tried lots of combinations of
options, someone even suggested that my SB16 has no IDE support, but
it all works from DOS fine (and the CD-ROM is connected to IDE interface
of my SB16 card, not the CREATIVE interface. I've tried to reconnect
my CD-ROM to my IDE card but I think I've really stuffed things up
(I do not have a good manual for this card, it seems like a direct
translation from Chinese - not that I know the language, and it has
2 tiny pages full of numbers, that is all). I've tried to force Lilo
to look harder for HDD=CDROM, it finds there is a secondary IDE device
with IRQ 15, but it cannot recognise it or its address, and later,
when it gets to my fstab settings, the kernel hangs, and the machine
needs to be reset.

I've noticed in drivers/block/README.sbpcd, that a Creative CD200 is
mentioned as a new CD-ROM for which there is no support. Could it be
that my drive, i.e. CD220E is even newer and I'd have to wait for
another year to get anything out of it? Should I invest and buy an
el chipo drive for Linux, while keeping the Creative one to be used
with Windows? Any suggestions?

Jacob
Jacob L. Cybulski, CS&CE, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Vic 3083, Australia

2. Virtual PC and Linux

3. Install Problems: RH 5.2, SB16 & Creative 200F CDROM

4. changepassword via cgi

5. Creative CD220 CD-ROM w/ SB16? How???

6. lock manager error

7. Sound :Creative SB16 Vibra

8. The f**** NT chrashes my solaris

9. Creative Labs SB16 PnP - MPU401 base address and intrpt?

10. HELP PLEASE - Creative SB16 CD-ROM

11. Installing Free SCO from a Creative SB16 CDROM

12. Creative CDROM (IDE) & SB16

13. creative SB16 setup