RH-3.0.3 dynamic-IP/PPP routing probs

Post by eesp.. » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am having problems with the routing of my PPP connection.  I am
using defaultroute but I still get nowhere.

I use a local ISP that uses PPP and dynamically allocates IP addresses

In the PPP-HOWTO it gives some options. The one that seems to apply
is:
"
11.4.  I have a default route and I still can't get anywhere else! Now
what?

o  Use gated on all of the gateways and on the terminal server. Thiss
     will cause the terminal server to broadcast to the gateways that

     it can accept the frames for your IP address. Since the hosts
     will have a default route to one of the gateways, the gateways
     will generate the ICMP re-direct frame and the specific host will
     automatically add its host route.
.
"

     My problem is that I can download 'gated' but I don't know where
to modify the routing initialization or where the file is.  The only
file I find is /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet.

I have RH 3.0.3 with 2.0.0 kernel.

I could really use some help because the HOWTO seems a little
different when it comes to the files and it doesn't seem cover the
dynamic IP addressing situation.

While I'm asking,  How do you specify the DNS server for the dynamic
IP configuration with PPP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please e-mail me directly at

thank you in advance,