Boot from more than one Operating System on a PC (10/10)

Boot from more than one Operating System on a PC (10/10)

Post by Benedict Cho » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Power Boot

Power Boot is a boot utility that allows you to select which Operating
System you want to boot from.

If you want to install more than one Operating System in your PC, you
will want to install them in different partitions so that each
Operating System runs in its native environment.

All you need then, is the ability to boot from the different
partitions, Power Boot is more versatile and much less expensive than
another popular program (Program SC). Pay for what you need : not the
fancy packaging or features that were useful yesterday.

Features include:
- Boot from any one of 64 partitions in any drive. Only limited by the
ability of the OS to be booted from a drive other than C. E.g. Linux
can be booted from any drive or partition. MSDOS must be booted from
Drive C. OS/2 can be booted from a logical drive in an extended
partition.

- Hide/unhide partitions on the fly as you boot up. There is no need
to run another program in order to hide or unhide partitions.

- One touch option to configure your system to update an Operating
System.

- One touch option to configure your system to install an OEM version
of an operating system e.g. Windows95 OSR2. Very often, these OEM
versions will not install if they detect another OS on the system.

- Give names to your partitions like 'Win95 OSR2' or 'MSDOS 6.22' for
easy identification

- Garanteed against obsolescence : supports LBA mode for hard drive
access in order to boot from partitions in hard drives larger than
8GigaBytes. For similar support with other utilities, you probably
have to pay for the upgrade.

- Once the operating system is loaded, Power Boot does not occupy any
memory.

- Self contained. No external runtime files for hiding/unhiding
partitions or for configuration..

- Compatible with MSDOS, OpenDOS, Windows 95, Windows NT, OS/2, Linux,
you name it and we can add it in.

- The advantage of Power Boot compared to LILO is that it is easy to
use : there is no configuration needed to before you can boot from
different partitions. Adding bootable partitions is also automatic.
Install Linux and other OSes without having to learn vi first :-)

- Free upgrades.

- Power-Chain enabled. You can install more than one MBR utility e.g.
boot
from your Zip drive with The ZppA.

A similar program you can find at your local software store supports
Multi-FAT. This allows you to install different OSes within the same
partition. You don't need to get a special software for that. OS/2,
MSDOS, Win95 and WinNT can co-exist in the same partition provided
some precautions are taken.

However, to take full advantage of the latest 32-bit OSes, they should
each be installed in their own partitions. And the best way to boot
from each of them is with Power Boot.

Power Boot is available for evaluation at
http://www.blueskyinnovations.com

-------------------------------

Ben

1. L 10 10 10 10...

help! frustration turning to anger!

installed OpenLinux 1.3 have a Windows NT system with 2 EIDE drives,
4.3G and 5.7G. The latter was unused so I decided to install there just
to avoid any potential problems.  First time things appeared to go
pretty well.  Being new to Linux I read a number of HOW-To docs
including the one on Linux+NT-Loader.  I followed the instructions to
the letter including using the bootpart util to add Linux to the NT menu
and installing LILO on the linux partition rather than the NT MBR, so I
figured I was all set when the install and X-Windows config appeared to
go well and I had Linux up and running pretty quickly.  However, when I
rebooted the system to bring up NT I discovered that one of the
partitions on the first drive, the one with the DOS partitions, had been
completely wiped.  Specifically the logical drive that linux knew as
/dev/hda6 had been emptied, even though I had used fdisk to create linux
native and swap partitions on /dev/hdb1, /dev/hdb3, /dev/hdb4.  NT still
worked, but virtually all of my own applications and files were gone.
    The best was yet to come, however.  When I tried to use the Linux
option off the NT menu I got a message that the ntoskrnl was corrupt.
As I said I was still able to run NT fine.  I quickly discovered that I
could still use the boot/install disk to get linux running and
everything seemed to work fine.  At this point I began to second guess
which of the two linux native partitions I had installed LILO, so I
decided to reinstall linux.  Again everything seemed to go ok, except...

    I still couldn't use the NT menu to get to Linux, so I decided to
delete the linux partitions, and start over.  This is where the big
trouble is...now when I try to boot the system with the boot/install
disk that comes with 1.3 all I get is
L 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10...
using rawrite to create a boot disk has the same effect...and trying to
boot with a Red Hat 4.1 boot.img disk produces something very similar...

LILO
error 0X10

if anybody can help, you'd make a rapidly aging man very happy,
Dick

2. restore fails

3. Linksys EtherFast 10/10 PC Card (PCMPC100)

4. Traceroute error

5. Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Solaris Operating System (x86-64)

6. S3805 - Problem with 16bpp/32bpp

7. Boot from more than one Operating System on a PC

8. reverse name lookup & DHCP

9. Boot from more than one Operating System on a PC (09/26)

10. Boot from more than one Operating System on a PC

11. Linux: one of PC Week's Top 10 Best Products of the Year