Compiling Kernel 2.0.34 to Kernel 2.2.7

Post by Alan Fri » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

I successfully downloade the new 2.2.7 kernel to
my existing red hat 5.1 distribution with the 2.0.34
kernel.

I gunzipped the file into the usr/src directory and I
believe the 2.0.34 kernel became overwritten with a
symbolic link to linux.

I attempted to compile the kernel first with the command
make mrproper then make xconfig then make dep then make clean
then finally make zImage.

Unfortunately after about 3-4 minutes of compiling I got the
following error messages:

checksum.c:105: 'csum partial-copy' previously defined here.
{Standard input}: Assembler messages
{Standard input}:185: Fatal error: symbol csum partial already defined.
make {2} ***{checksum.o} Error 1
make {2) Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/arch/i386/lib'
make {1} ***{first rule} Error 2
make {1} Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux/-2.0.34/arch/i386/lib'
make ***{dir-arch/i386/lib} Error 2

I then renamed the directory linux-2.0.34 to linux-2.2.7 with
a new sybolic link to linux with the same results as above except
2.2.7 substitued for 2.0.34.

Can anyone make heads or tails of this???

Thanx ina advance

Alan

Post by N. McNeil » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

> I successfully downloade the new 2.2.7 kernel to
> my existing red hat 5.1 distribution with the 2.0.34
> kernel.

> I gunzipped the file into the usr/src directory and I
> believe the 2.0.34 kernel became overwritten with a
> symbolic link to linux.

> I attempted to compile the kernel first with the command
> make mrproper then make xconfig then make dep then make clean
> then finally make zImage.

> Unfortunately after about 3-4 minutes of compiling I got the
> following error messages:

> checksum.c:105: 'csum partial-copy' previously defined here.
> {Standard input}: Assembler messages
> {Standard input}:185: Fatal error: symbol csum partial already defined.
> make {2} ***{checksum.o} Error 1
> make {2) Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/arch/i386/lib'
> make {1} ***{first rule} Error 2
> make {1} Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux/-2.0.34/arch/i386/lib'
> make ***{dir-arch/i386/lib} Error 2

> I then renamed the directory linux-2.0.34 to linux-2.2.7 with
> a new sybolic link to linux with the same results as above except
> 2.2.7 substitued for 2.0.34.

> Can anyone make heads or tails of this???

> Thanx ina advance

> Alan

you might want to check out this before you do that.

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/

--
N. McNeill

LinuXsite
http://www.ipass.net/~njm/

Post by Mohd H Misn » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

>I successfully downloade the new 2.2.7 kernel to
>my existing red hat 5.1 distribution with the 2.0.34
>kernel.

>I gunzipped the file into the usr/src directory and I
>believe the 2.0.34 kernel became overwritten with a
>symbolic link to linux.

Remove the 2.0.34 source tree first and redo the gunzip/tar the new source
again. Most probably there're some old source codes or include files which
obsolute.

--

|MacOS 8.5.1  +   |http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/      |M|
|AMD K6-2/300 +   |We want to take over the world, but we don't have |a|

Post by Alan Fri » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

>>I successfully downloade the new 2.2.7 kernel to
>>my existing red hat 5.1 distribution with the 2.0.34
>>kernel.

>>I gunzipped the file into the usr/src directory and I
>>believe the 2.0.34 kernel became overwritten with a
>>symbolic link to linux.

>Remove the 2.0.34 source tree first and redo the gunzip/tar the new source
>again. Most probably there're some old source codes or include files which
>obsolute.

Yes that did it

Post by Mei » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

> I successfully downloade the new 2.2.7 kernel to
> my existing red hat 5.1 distribution with the 2.0.34
> kernel.

Remember Redhat 5.1 and 5.2 must be upgraded to use 2.2.X kernel. Try to
see to www.redhat.com to find the package you need.

Quote:

> I gunzipped the file into the usr/src directory and I
> believe the 2.0.34 kernel became overwritten with a
> symbolic link to linux.

You must remove linux softlink and you must do it again pointing to
linux-2.2.7 as writen in documentation.

Quote:> I attempted to compile the kernel first with the command
> make mrproper then make xconfig then make dep then make clean
> then finally make zImage.

I think you must read again documentation. You need to do some work more
to have a working kernel.

Quote:> Unfortunately after about 3-4 minutes of compiling I got the
> following error messages:

> I then renamed the directory linux-2.0.34 to linux-2.2.7 with
> a new sybolic link to linux with the same results as above except
> 2.2.7 substitued for 2.0.34.

Infact... ungzip the kernel in /usr/src, then do a cd
/usr/src/linux-2.2.7 a read the README file.

Ciao Mei

1. please help: newly compiled kernel cannot compile (2.0.34 slackware)

Hi all,

i been struggling with this for a week now,

sympton:

newly compiled kernel will not compile anything, only spit a bunch of debug
information at me. sometimes error 1 and error 2.
the error are not the same each time, if i compile a new kernel with it, , the
error is a bunch of debug code, if i compile modules, it's error 1 and 2, if i
compile BitchX, it's ....

this kernel boots just fine. loads everything just fine. it just can't compile
anything successfully.

fixes i tried(no luck):
1. checked all the include file soft links in place (as suggested in HOWTO)
2. re-install all over (a few times)
3. re-install liberaries. (they are all from new slackware 3.5 CD set)

i'm really running out of fix now, will anyone please let me know of any other
things to try?

(by the way guys, it seems that menuconfig won't do it for sound config, use
config will make it work)

i really gota compile ipforwarding and ip maquerading before the semester starts
or i'll have to share one ethernet plug with my roomate. i tried reading dox and
all , will anyone please help, thanks.)

Carol

2. Meaning of CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL ?

3. Kernel Compile: Problem with 2.0.34 + RH 5.1

4. Abit Hotrod66 with Solaris 8/x86

5. Make problems re-compiling kernel 2.0.34-0.6

6. new hardware == new install?

7. Slackware and 2.0.34 kernel compile errors

8. Education

9. Compiling Linux 2.0.34 kernel with 386 or Pentium option ?

10. HELP : Compiling linux kernel 2.0.34

11. kernel 2.0.34 compile problems

12. 2.0.34 Kernel compile errors!!!

13. Compiling ppp-2.3.5 under kernel 2.0.34