1. Newbie: No incoming mail
Is your MTA running? Use ps to find out.
Is it actually listening on port 25? Use netstat or netcat to find out.
Can it be reached via your hosts IP address? Try to telnet to port 25
from another host on the network.
Can it be reached from the 'Net? If you don't have a host on another
network to test with, post the IP address or FQDN here and someone can
Assuming all of the above are OK... what happens to mail that's
delivered to the daemon? using telnet or netcat, you can recreate the
SMTP session and see what it says. Further, you can check the logs on
that host, look at the spool mail is delivered to, etc.
There's *lots* you can do to troubleshoot this... :-)
John Oliver, CCNA http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/
*** sendmail, Apache, ftp, DNS, spam filtering ***
**** Colocation, T1s, web/email/ftp hosting ****
2. internet connectiviy
3. Needed script to format incoming mail into html WWW pages.
4. Success: Xfractint 3.0 on Linux
5. Mail problem for incoming mail
6. Which Sun SIMMs would be most likely to work on PC?
7. Mail relay program that TRASHES ALL INCOMING MAIL?
8. Sendmail - Not working with an alias in the to: field
9. Newbie Needs Help Setting up a POP or SMTP Mail Server
10. newbie needs help auto-replying to mail
11. newbie needs help to configure the mail server
12. Newbie: needs help with Sum Mail
13. Newbie needs help with mail