followup: floppy problems on thinkpad 770 (redhat 5.1)

followup: floppy problems on thinkpad 770 (redhat 5.1)

Post by Morris Bernste » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a help request about problems using
the floppy drive after installing redhat 5.1.  I've since managed to
work around the problem.  Here's the solution: I was able to read some
old tar disks that had been sitting around by booting with the
Slackware 3.5 install disks.

It looks like the problem is a kernel/driver issue in the RedHat
distribution.  Since I have a couple of other kernel problems, it
looks like I'm going to have to rebuild the kernel.  Oh, joy.

Back to lurk mode...

Morris

--

Spammers beware: I may respond in a way you _won't_ like

RANDOM FORTUNE COOKIE:
Giving up on assembly language was the apple in our Garden of Eden:  Languages
whose use squanders machine cycles are sinful.  The LISP machine now permits
LISP programmers to abandon bra and fig-leaf.
                -- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982

1. floppy problems with redhat 5.1 on thinkpad (help!)

I've just installed RedHat 5.1 on a brand new thinkpad 770 and I'm
experiencing no end of joy with floppy drive.  I've been trying to
find answers in the various docs, and I'm  now booting with loadlin:
        loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 floppy=thinkpad floppy=0,daring

My goal is to read an old tar archive on a floppy (made on a computer
that has since bit the dust).  The following sequence is typical:

dd: /dev/fd0: Input/output error
36+0 records in
36+0 records out07:42:57

dd: /dev/fd0: Device not configured

If I do "tar xfv ./image", I recover a couple of files but I don't
know if anything else is on the disk (I have some multi-volume
archives with more relevent data, waiting for things to get
strightened out).

After the first error, any attempt to use the drive gives the device
not configured error.  The only cure is to reboot (and if I wanted to
reboot every hour, I'd have used...).

Is there any way to clear the drive error without rebooting?

Is there anything else I could be doing to recover the data?

Thanks,

Morris
--

Spammers beware: I may respond in a way you _won't_ like

RANDOM FORTUNE COOKIE:
To err is human.
To blame someone else for your mistakes is even more human.

2. Serial Communication

3. RedHat 5.0 on IBM Thinkpad 770?

4. XDMCP with local server

5. RedHat 5.2 on ThinkPad 770 X

6. Any alternatives to "sort"?

7. XFree86 on Thinkpad 770 (RedHat 5.2)

8. LinuxPPC 2000 installation woes...

9. IBM-ThinkPad 770-Problems

10. Thinkpad 770 PnP Problem

11. Monitor problems with Thinkpad 770??

12. RedHat 5.1 floppy install not mounting floppy ro CDROM

13. help: apmd on thinkpad 770